Dont forget to separate your breeders

Okay, another question has come up with what happened here yesterday. Morning chores, I noticed one of my trio had prolapse. After moving her into a dog crate in my livingroom [only space available], taking care of her all day yesterday and today, I started thinking. What do you do if something like this happens in a pair? Give up on the season? Swap another out from somewhere else? Just curious. I would never have thought of this if my situation hadn't come up.

I had to look up what prolapse was. Does egg laying cause it? And is it fairly common?

I had to look up what prolapse was. Does egg laying cause it? And is it fairly common?
It did in Lucy's case...I think. She had an egg she was not able to get out and another rubber one a few minutes behind it. From what I've read it can be caused by low calcium levels, or eggs that are too big in a young goose or genetics or.... Celtic and others would have a much better idea than I have. This is my first year and I seem to be learning the trial by fire way, lol. I will say this, I shouldn't get old doing this....I'm always running with something and old age will have to catch me first.

I say it is a case by case choice as to how the girl responds and recovers. If the eggs after being bound are still off for days, then no need to worry about breeding her. If they return to normal I would wait a minimum of 10-14 days for full recovery if she was prolapsed and egg bound both.

I say it is a case by case choice as to how the girl responds and recovers. If the eggs after being bound are still off for days, then no need to worry about breeding her. If they return to normal I would wait a minimum of 10-14 days for full recovery if she was prolapsed and egg bound both.
Thanks so much for the time line Celtic. She's in the house with me until everything goes back into place and the weather calms down a bit. Going to have to be really careful putting her back out in their house.

yes, with the sub zero temps she needs lots of warmth until everything is back to normal too. Frost bite on waterfowl is no joke (and preventable by providing proper housing) so choosing to keep her inside is a good idea.

It looks like my goose is making a nest! Wohoo!
wee.gif

We have 4 breeding pens 90% finished as of this afternoon. Yesterday I ran to town (okay, actually I drove..... ; ), and got 18, 16ft x 50in cattle panels and some latches. We already had a big pile of T-Posts ready to use, so this afternoon it was so nice and warm we were able to drive about 16 posts, and attach several panels. Now I just need 12 night time houses/nesting areas to put in each pen and I'll be good to go, once I get the other pens finished.

I have a whole stack of about 20 10ft x 10ft concreate forms that I am wanting to build a goose barn out of, with 6+ stalls, each stall being 5ft x 10, but for right now I'll be glad if we can get the goose runs finished.

Pictures tomorrow, by the time I finished working outside the moon was already out.

~ Aspen
Sounds awesome, one of my dreams is to have a barn.

It looks like my goose is making a nest! Wohoo!
wee.gif
Great news! When I had my geese in the garden, I found two nests dug in the sand/hay.
Sounds awesome, one of my dreams is to have a barn.
Mine too! It doesn't look like it'll be happening any time soon, but a gal can dream, can't she? Right now mine are housed in temporary shelters, but they look awful...but I reckon if it keeps them safe it's good enough.
thumbsup.gif
must be some mating going on then ..
I've had some here and there. I had my first gander fighting this evening. One of my trios crawled through the fence and go into a different pen, and two of the ganders started grabbing each other through the fence...while all the ladies cheered them on.
roll.png
Shellie, I bet you'll never guess who one of the ganders was!
wink.png

~ Aspen

Back
Top Bottom