Don't go it alone

BigPeep

Songster
10 Years
May 27, 2009
I have been responding of late to a number of posts on this topic.

One of the things I have noticed is that many people are trying to do things in isolation. Usually they just go ahead and get chickens and then someone inevitably notices and makes a report. Now they have to "scramble" to put something together for a city council meeting in a week or two.

If you just go into the city hall by your lonesome, and are unprepared, you may make the situation worse. Once they turn you down, they have a recent action on this topic and may be less likely to want to revisit it later.

I would try to find out who else in town has an interest in this, do your homework in terms of compiling information on other towns that have allowed chickens and what their experience has been, and maybe get one of the humorous videos like "Mad City Chickens" to show to them.

Moreover, research your town's ordinances BEFORE you invest in the chickens and build a coop. Unless you are keeping them in your basement, someone is going to find out and you are going to get reported and will then be under time constraints to get your act together. Be proactive rather than reactive.

well said!
clap.gif

Excellent advice. I would also advise not just taking someone's word over the telephone. Verify all info on paper, prior to getting the chickens.

Actually, I think the best thing to do is to handle everything via email and don't talk to anyone on the phone at all. That way you avoid the he said she said type of thing and you can document all of your conversations.

Back
Top Bottom