Don't hold back!

Sarjeanp

Songster
7 Years
May 26, 2015
I am in tears! I feel so, so, so bad. We have one rooster, and nine girls. I usually collect eggs every day, sometimes every other. I have even gone a few days, no problem. Life has been super busy, and I didn't collect for what I truly thought was maybe 4 days. NO EXCUSE. I realized one of the girls was brooding, so last night, I removed her and gathered them all. I then sat in a dark room and candled each egg. I swear, there was NOTHING, no veins, no circles, nothing that would indicate a baby. I just boiled eggs, and when I cracked it, it busted open and there was a baby in it. 😭I know it hasn't been a week since I gathered the eggs, but the embryo looked like day 7 gestation, according to Google. It had a black eyeball and an umbilical cord. Could a day 4 look like a day 7? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but I don't get it. I had to have cooked him alive. I deserve a tongue lashing, but would love some words of comfort.

Thanks guys. So I just spent this entire time, going back through every egg I had in the house, collected last night, and collected prior... I re-candled all of them, threw out the ones with hairline cracks, and dated all of the others. I re-fluffed the nesting box and put all 35 eggs back in, for her to brood on. I have to try to make this right in some way or another. Just in case any of them have a baby in it, I need to give it a chance. I figure I will re-gather them in 4 days, to re-candle and see which are growing and which are not. I am buying a real candler right now on Amazon.. just looking for a good one. I used a heavy duty flashlight with a cupped hand, but apparently, it's not as powerful as a *real* egg candler?

Thanks guys. So I just spent this entire time, going back through every egg I had in the house, collected last night, and collected prior... I re-candled all of them, threw out the ones with hairline cracks, and dated all of the others. I re-fluffed the nesting box and put all 35 eggs back in, for her to brood on. I have to try to make this right in some way or another. Just in case any of them have a baby in it, I need to give it a chance. I figure I will re-gather them in 4 days, to re-candle and see which are growing and which are not. I am buying a real candler right now on Amazon.. just looking for a good one. I used a heavy duty flashlight with a cupped hand, but apparently, it's not as powerful as a *real* egg candler?
You've got one chicken sitting on 35 eggs? 😲

I'm pretty sure a 'candler' is just a strong flashlight. I do fine with an LED flashlight.

Don't beat yourself up. These things happen and you can't un-happen it. Important thing is that we learn from our mistakes. I reckon you'll be egg collecting daily from now on 🙂

I am in tears! I feel so, so, so bad. We have one rooster, and nine girls. I usually collect eggs every day, sometimes every other. I have even gone a few days, no problem. Life has been super busy, and I didn't collect for what I truly thought was maybe 4 days. NO EXCUSE. I realized one of the girls was brooding, so last night, I removed her and gathered them all. I then sat in a dark room and candled each egg. I swear, there was NOTHING, no veins, no circles, nothing that would indicate a baby. I just boiled eggs, and when I cracked it, it busted open and there was a baby in it. 😭I know it hasn't been a week since I gathered the eggs, but the embryo looked like day 7 gestation, according to Google. It had a black eyeball and an umbilical cord. Could a day 4 look like a day 7? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but I don't get it. I had to have cooked him alive. I deserve a tongue lashing, but would love some words of comfort.
:hugs I won't lash you. I'm sorry this happened do you! It sounds traumatizing. I will lash whoever lashes you
🥺

Ok! good luck and best wishes to you!

Sometimes things like this happen. It‘s not your fault. Chances are the chick was to underdeveloped to feel or notice anything.

It is very odd. Is there any chance the egg could’ve been imbedded under nesting box material? It would kind of explain it if they chickens laid in the same spot everyday making the egg warmer. I’m not an expert, so what I’m saying might just be something stupid.

Back
Top Bottom