1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Don't know breed or gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GimmeCake, Sep 4, 2014.

1. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as breed goes, I know the father is a Black Australorp, but the mother most likely be either a Barred Rock, Dominique, or Mottled Java (I have others, but they don't have white on them).

I don't know about gender.

It's about 7 1/2 weeks old.

Sorry if the pictures are blurry. It REALLY didn't want to be held; very hard to take a picture with only one have when it's moving around constantly trying it's best to escape.

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    At 7.5 weeks old, that's a cockerel.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Cockerel.

4. WyandotteIndeed

WyandotteIndeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Yup, that's a boy. With the single comb I would go with the rock mom, because of the uniform barring, and rose/pea combs are dominant so the dominique is less likely. When he gets all his sickle feathers in, he will probably have some that are solid green/black with the rest barred (from the black dad), so he'll be either beautiful, (or delicious depending on your plans).

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You have a black sex link cockerel.

With the barring color, the momma had to be either the Rock or the Dominique. A barred hen covered by a non-barred rooster will throw barred males and non-barred females, so sexing them at hatch is easy peasy. Males have a white/cream spot on the head, females don't.

If the Dominique was the momma, the dominant rose comb would have come through. This guy's straight comb means the Rock was the momma.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Definitely a Black Sex Link cockerel.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Cockerel. And I'm pretty sure the Barred Rock was its mother.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by