Don't know what breed or gender you have? Click here!

JUST hatched yesterday at Meyer Hatchery.
They are 16 ASSORTED RARE BREED PULLETS.
I THINK I've figured out a few but I've only had about 20 different breeds and a few of these are not them. EGG-cited to watch them grow!
ANY help is appreciated, THANK YOU!!
Meyer16Asst.jpg

The difference is super pronounced in the chicks when they're about a week old. Females have full flight feathers and males still have little stubs. The difference vanishes later but my fast feathering pullet was very obviously ahead until 12 weeks. She started her molt around 5 or 6 weeks.
Ok thanks. So maybe clearer photos would help then. It's very wiggly and hard to catch a clear shot cuz she moves so much haha :wee

No problem. I wonder if that breed can live a happy life as pets? Or because they are genetically created to grow so fast in such a short amount of time, they wouldn't be able to have a good life because their size? I wonder this because I wanted to have one as a pet myself but I wasn't sure. Just curious. Have you had any experience with what I'm talking about?

No, we have no experience with meat chickens at all, and this chick was a surprise visitor! I have been researching the breed as well, just to see if she has any needs, since we will free-range her with the laying hens if we can. We will probably have her processed one day, but will let her be a chicken as far as she is able in the meantime. I can share what I've observed so far, if it helps!

She is super-calm, quiet, and docile. We all love that trait! She seems to be a good forager, but will also gobble any food available... so we're controlling her access to feed. I would not put her in a coop with roosting bars, to spare her legs and feet from injury. She's slower-moving (and bright white), which could make her a target for predators and the other chickens, so she's foraging in an enclosure at the moment.

Her breed doesn't seem suited for a long, healthy life as a pet but it seems she could be a relatively normal foraging chicken for a while, if you address her weaknesses. Good luck!

Was told an Easter egger not sure but I'm thinking roo? First time owner help appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_0622.JPG
    IMG_0622.JPG
    606.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    756.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0631.JPG
    IMG_0631.JPG
    462 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0634.JPG
    IMG_0634.JPG
    649.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0635.JPG
    IMG_0635.JPG
    559.1 KB · Views: 6
She's at about a week now so I wanted to provide some updated pictures to see if anyone could identify her color or gender any better than before. Her tail feather growth makes me think it's a hen, because I've never had a chicken develop feathers this fast and end up being a roo.

Back
Top Bottom