Don't know what happened- is one of my hens now an outcast?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mprivett, Nov 5, 2010.

1. mprivett

mprivett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Chatham County, NC
    So tonight when I came home it was already dark and we had left the door to their run open for the chickens to free-range today. They have been doing very well lately with coming back into their coop at night usually without any problems (we used to have a problem with them roosting in trees). Well, apparently the wind had blown the door to their run shut and the poor things couldn't get in to go to bed! I found two of the hens and the roo up roosting on the roof to the run and the third hen was missing [​IMG] After some searching, we finally found her in one of the trees bordering the woods around our property. I had already gotten the others into the coop, and when I set her down inside the coop with the others she started whining and immediately came out of the coop and down the ramp. She then started pacing frantically around the run trying to get out and squawking her head off-- very distressed! We went through this ordeal twice. After I walked around with her for a bit, gave her some treats and got her settled down, I put her in through the egg door so she couldn't get out. She paced around and FINALLY got up onto the roost but not before she pecked one of the other hens on the head. [​IMG]

What does this mean? Did the others exclude her or is she just mad at them for some odd reason? I feel like such a bad chicken mommy now [​IMG] I'm fairly new to chickens so any advice would be appreciated!

2. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    Sounds like their routine was disrupted and this is the reaction of this one.

3. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    sounds a bit confused. I'm sure she will be fine.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Is it possible that she has a nest stashed somewhere that she wants to stay close to? My AWOL broody girls almost always sleep out by their hidden nests for a night or two before they decide to go full-on broody and sit...

5. mprivett

Jun 29, 2010
    Chatham County, NC
    I only have one hen that is laying right now and I don't think it is her but I will check to see if she is hiding her eggs somewhere--thanks!!

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I agree with everyone else. She should be fine!

I use the springs from a trampoline to keep my door open!! I hook them through the wire on the run and the wire on the door and it keeps it open. Have had that happen once when my FIL let them out while I was at work and didn't hook the door open! Thank goodness I got home before it got dark. [​IMG]

Glad you found them all!!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  7. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    I have a hunch she's broody. I hope you'll let us know the outcome

8. mprivett

Jun 29, 2010
    Chatham County, NC
    So I went out and checked all around the area where she was up in the tree and didn't see a nest of eggs anywhere. Hopefully it will be a one-time thing. Thanks!!

9. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    I usually keep our coop door open with a big stone. I do that because I like the girls to know they can go in and out when they like and the door is never shut in the daytime. It means they get someplace to hide if they feel insecure or its raining. I always got a bit worried that the wind would catch the door and close it so they couldn;t get in or worse hit one of the girls and injure her. So I always wedge it with a stone and I always have the girls in before dark and I always go in with them and say goodnight and stroke them and count them to make sure I NEVER LEAVE ONE OUTSIDE BY MISTAKE! It is my biggest fear so I check everytime and If I am a little late I still go out with the torch to count them and close the door. I also have a double door on the run to keep the preditors out as there are loads of ferile cats that come our way from the farm over the back and there are always foxes and things hanging about. - Get a big stone and wedge the door so it doesn;t shut on your girls and always go check them for bed and close the door yourself.

I think your girl just got spooked and she will be fine. They tend to peck eachother on the back of the head or neck to establish pecking order! They will sort themselves again in time. Give it a few days and things will be back to normal. YOUR NOT A BAD CHICKEN MOMMA !!!!!!!!

Oesdog - [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by