Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Netty12345, Nov 13, 2015.
Increased humidity for lockdown
If your temperature is 95f that is way too low. It should be 100F. Yes, your eggs will be delayed in hatching for sure!
The incubator is set to as high as it can go, that is why we covered it with blankets, to get the temp higher. What can I do? If anything??
DON'T GIVE UP IF THEY ARE MOVING!!!
The temperature during incubation determines how fast the chicks develop. If you were low, then the chicks could be behind and may not be quite ready to hatch yet. You are right, changing the temperature now won't make much difference for these guys, but you know what you need to work on for next time.
Make sure your vents aren't covered by the blanket and your vents are open, the chicks need the oxygen.
Just checked the thermometer inside and it's actually reading at 97.5 Fahrenheit
You seem to be OK on the humidity, especially with a cracked egg. Have you tried putting a lamp (with an incandescent bulb) near your incubator to try and raise the temps? It might help.
Your brooder light would work if you can set it up safely.
I will give it a go with the lamp, I can't see movement in the cracked egg now, does this mean I have killed it or is it maybe sleeping or something??
Please let me not have killed it
My next question is: if my eggs are just delayed then is there anyway of knowing for how many days delayed or is it a wait and see? How many days more should I wait?
No way to tell at this point, and yes, it could be sleeping Often you will hear cheeping when they internally pip the membrane, then in the next day they will externally pip the eggshell, then within 24 hours they will zip and hatch. Sounds like your guys haven't gotten to that point yet, so all you can do is optimize their conditions, sit on your hands and wait. Don't open the bator to keep as much heat in as possible.
Think good thoughts and hope for the best. How many eggs do you have and what kind of chickens are they from?
we have 5 eggs left, should I do the float test?? Or wait?
Don't know what breed of chicken as they were given to us from a chicken farmer friend so we could have a go.
I would give them another day, at least. Try do do something else to take your mind off them I know, I worry like crazy at hatch time too, easier said than done.
The float test wont tell you much - if the egg wiggles in the water, it's alive. If it doesn't, it still could be alive and resting. If you do know they are alive, what would you do differently except for keeping them warm and waiting??
Keeping my fingers crossed for you! But remember, there's only so much you can do with an incubator that won't hold the correct temperatures.