1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Netty12345, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Netty12345

Netty12345 Out Of The Brooder

Increased humidity for lockdown

2. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    If your temperature is 95f that is way too low. It should be 100F. Yes, your eggs will be delayed in hatching for sure!

3. Netty12345

The incubator is set to as high as it can go, that is why we covered it with blankets, to get the temp higher. What can I do? If anything??

4. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    DON'T GIVE UP IF THEY ARE MOVING!!! [​IMG]

The temperature during incubation determines how fast the chicks develop. If you were low, then the chicks could be behind and may not be quite ready to hatch yet. You are right, changing the temperature now won't make much difference for these guys, but you know what you need to work on for next time.

Make sure your vents aren't covered by the blanket and your vents are open, the chicks need the oxygen.

5. Netty12345

Just checked the thermometer inside and it's actually reading at 97.5 Fahrenheit

6. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    You seem to be OK on the humidity, especially with a cracked egg. Have you tried putting a lamp (with an incandescent bulb) near your incubator to try and raise the temps? It might help.

Your brooder light would work if you can set it up safely.

7. Netty12345

I will give it a go with the lamp, I can't see movement in the cracked egg now, does this mean I have killed it or is it maybe sleeping or something??
    Please let me not have killed it

My next question is: if my eggs are just delayed then is there anyway of knowing for how many days delayed or is it a wait and see? How many days more should I wait?

8. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    No way to tell at this point, and yes, it could be sleeping Often you will hear cheeping when they internally pip the membrane, then in the next day they will externally pip the eggshell, then within 24 hours they will zip and hatch. Sounds like your guys haven't gotten to that point yet, so all you can do is optimize their conditions, sit on your hands and wait. Don't open the bator to keep as much heat in as possible.

Think good thoughts and hope for the best. How many eggs do you have and what kind of chickens are they from?

9. Netty12345

we have 5 eggs left, should I do the float test?? Or wait?
    Don't know what breed of chicken as they were given to us from a chicken farmer friend so we could have a go.

10. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    I would give them another day, at least. Try do do something else to take your mind off them [​IMG]I know, I worry like crazy at hatch time too, easier said than done.

The float test wont tell you much - if the egg wiggles in the water, it's alive. If it doesn't, it still could be alive and resting. If you do know they are alive, what would you do differently except for keeping them warm and waiting??

Keeping my fingers crossed for you! [​IMG] But remember, there's only so much you can do with an incubator that won't hold the correct temperatures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by