Don't know what to do...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sianara, Jan 28, 2011.

1. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    I've got a 10 month old pullet that has spent several nights outside in their run during this very, very cold weather we've been having lately. Even though she had access to a nice warm insulated house with her "sisters" she insisted on sleeping in the run (which has a solid roof).

Anyhoo, I noticed today she keeps shaking her head and when I closed off part of the run and forced her into the house she immediately went into one of the nest boxes. She's not really hunched up but she looks like she just doesn't feel good. No sneezing or discharge. Since I rarely have sick chickens I can't remember what the head shaking means. Anybody know?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I think I read somewhere it can be ear mites or gapeworm. But I don't have any experience with either.

3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    are the others picking on her? has she laid an egg lately?check her over, check for egg bound, lice,gape worm, check her weight ect.. maybe even bring her into a warm area for a day or two and give her some electrolyte solution in her water for strenght, make sure she is eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by