Don't know where else to post this question... Kind of fits into the gender place but not really?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NewChickyMommy, Apr 10, 2012.

1. NewChickyMommy

NewChickyMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    West Virginia
    Anyways, I heard that if you hold a chicken upside down when it's a little older that if it fights you its a rooster, and if it doesn't it's a hen. Is this true? I tried this on a few of my chickens and the ones who I think are roosters fought and the ones I think are hens did not... They are about 6 1/2 weeks old. Obviously I have found this to be true I think but just some other peoples thoughts on this would be nice? Thanks :]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Personally I think it's an old wive's tale. I think any chick that's more assertive, male or female, may fight being held that way. Presuming that most cockerels would be more assertive than most pullets, I guess it could PARTLY be true. But I certainly wouldn't rely on it for high accuracy...you know what I mean???

3. I need to try that.. BRB

4. NewChickyMommy

NewChickyMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    West Virginia
    I figured it was an old wive's tale but I can't help but wonder... That makes sense that the assertive chickens fight to be held upside. I tried with my Dominique chicken that I'm 99% is a rooster and he tried to bite my finger off and he's not an aggressive chicken at all. I'm not using it to determine it, just more curious if anyone else has tried this and had it work/not work [​IMG]

and chloe you'll have to let me know how it works for you! I think it would be a fun experiment to do [​IMG]

5. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    My game hens and roosters will both fight if I hold them upside down. Mine might be biased though.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  6. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I've tried that a few times. Once when I bought chicks that were not sexed at the feed store, I came home with 5 chicks and 3 of the 5 were hens.
    So, its works some, but not fool proof!

7. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

They all pretty much fight me, so I say unlikely to work. You know, temperament from individual to individual is more likely to show than between the sexes.... At least thats been shown to be true in people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by