Don't make this mistake! Newbie chick feeder.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rachier8ch, Mar 30, 2017.

1. rachier8ch

rachier8ch New Egg

Mar 27, 2017
    Last night I bought my first set of coturnix chicks: 9 little cuties! I did hours and hours of reading up on quail and watching videos prior to my purchase, and I felt fully prepared. I knew I'd learn along the way, and I've already learned an important one about DIY no-mess gravity quail feeders: CAUTION! After my first experience, I would recommend others 1) wait to use until the chicks are probably half-grown, or 2) check one them every 1/2 hour during the day (varies considering temps) and remove feeders at night.

Knowing how much birds poop, particularly any growing animal, I wanted to opt for DIY no-mess feeders to keep them from popping in their feed. I looked up all the info I could, including what size holes to make for day-old hatchlings. I skipped the gravity feed and made 3/4" holes as recommended. I bought the birds last night, and first thing this morning I found 2 dead-looking chicks that had managed to squeeze inside the feeder but couldn't get out. Thankfully they were still alive, just very cold and limp. After 10 minutes in my "heating pad brooder cave" they warmed up. I made sure they got to water, and after another 15 minutes of heating up they've since been fine. In watching them closely these last few hours, I see that the holes are just barely big enough that those 2 particular chicks, the smallest 2 of our new little covey, can JUST BARELY wiggle their way into the feeder. In a few days they'll probably be big enough that I can use it safely without them wiggling inside, but as a general word of caution to anyone considering this route: this experience has taught me that it's better to deal with messy, pooped-in feeders for a few weeks than for them to get trapped inside and die.

I'm just so thankful I found the chicks in time! I had not considered or heard of this risk elsewhere, so i wanted to throw this out there for others to be aware.

Happy quail adventures to you!

2 people like this.
  2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    :thumbsup

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Glad you found them in time and they are fine. Close call!

4. AuQuail

AuQuail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2017
    I made my own no mess feeder, from a cardboard box, gravity style, had to play with it a bit and adjust as chick feed I needed to bend (close to powder)

Letting just enough gap for their heads only and deep enough for their head only to be able to eat.

Had to play with adjustments for 3 days to get it right.

[​IMG]

Been using it for 2 days now, and really neat... Especially with wood shaving as bedding.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by