Dont mean to sound dumb but I have a ??

chickengirlnm

Songster
12 Years
Sep 4, 2007
clovis, new mexico
Ok I was just outside with my chickens and noticed that a few of them have rather large bulges on the chest-- so I took my time and caught everyone of them and noticed they all have it ( some larger than others ) I have heard many times people talking about the crop - Where is this on a bird?? does this bulge mean that my girls are eating to much?? they are not sick and all are very very did i mention very active ( had a heck of a time getting to everyone ).
right now they are eating cracked corn - which i fill thier pan twice a day - once in am/pm, they also get a daily snack lately it is oatmeal in the am and the rest of the day they forge for whatever in thier run.
Should I cut back on how much I am feeding them?
sorry if it is such a dumb question but I really have no idea where the crop is and what this bulge means

do they have chicken weight watchers ???

Julie

That bulge IS their crop.
Its slightly to the right side on their chest.
It means they've eaten alot.

Some months ago I asked this same question.

Cracked corn won't give them all the nutrients they need, might want to at least suppliment their diet with some quality feed.

I agree that they need more than cracked corn...I've been told it's like if we ate nothing but candy all the time. I only feed it to mine as a treat and on cold afternoons.

thank- you for the fast answer -
they do get a regular feed, but when DH got the corn and put it in the tote with thier reg. feed he did not mix it up so thier feed kinda got lost on the bottom !! I am waiting to be able to mix it for them LOL

So I guess they are normal than right !! thank-god I was so freaked out to see this bulge thing on them - I am so clueless about chickens !!

so should I kinda cut back on how much they are eating?

Julie

No you shouldn't cut back on their reg. feed if its a layer mash,crumble or pellet..feed and water should be out 24/7 in their coop....what you do need to cut back on is the corn....scratch and corn should only be given as a treat once in a while...mainly in the winter to help them at night to keep warm...

chickens usually do not over eat.....their crops should be full in the evenings ...empty by morning and ready to start all over again....

It should go down overnight on its on.

Here's the pick from the first time I saw it, it can be disturbung.

2007-07July11-06.jpg

Mine get that big fat crop often - more toward the right side of the chest area.

I give mine (8std's and 4 bantums) a cup of scratch twice a day - in the morning when I let them out and in the evening when I walk past to feed the horse (so they're not left out) and to keep em a little warmer. Scratch has corn in it.

I have a black rubbery tub I keep filled with their regular food, so they can eat all day if they really wanted to - I don't think they over eat.

Quote:
I'm not sure how many people mix the corn with regular feed, I don't I'm kinda nervous one or two will eat ALL corn and nothing else... its a little easier for me anyway (and more fun to watch) to just give them a cup or so once or twice a day.....(In winter)

Back
Top Bottom