Don't underestimate a bantam!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bhadrika, Dec 18, 2008.

1. bhadrika

bhadrika Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2007
    Mansfield, MA
    We have in our flock a Golden Sebright, about the size of a pigeon. We figured she'd just be for cuteness, with the occasional nearly-pointless egg. Well, she started laying first (a week or two shy of five months old), and quickly settled into almost frightening regularity -- in one stretch of 27 days, she laid 24 eggs. Yes, they're tiny eggs, but by weekly volume of egg, she's putting out more than hens three times her size!

For a while she was going into the top of the feed hopper to lay, but we put a lid on it because she was also pooping in there. I think I'm going to put something in to protect the food and let her resume using that as her personal nest, since the only downside has been her eggs getting crushed by larger birds using the nestbox after her.

Our egg tray is quite the variety in both size, shape and color these days:

Squid - a buttercup - lays elogated large cream-colored eggs
    Four Americaunas lay blue/green large eggs
    Charlie - the Sebright - lays tiny light brown eggs
    Roschach - a dark cornish - lays large brown eggs (lately extra large double-yolkers)
    Hedwig - light Brahma - lays medium dusty brown
    Someone lays a darker (not chocolate, but maybe milk chocolate) brown medium eggs, sometimes with dark brown spots
    Someone laid a nearly spherical brown egg
    And someone else laid a medium white egg (with stretch marks on it)
    The candidates for the unknown eggs are two more Brahmas (buff and dark), a Wyandotte, and two white Langshans.

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    fyi - My langshan banties lay small oval white eggs, and lots of em.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Amazing how the little ones can lay. My d'uccle who is on winter present break right now, lays about 4-5 33gram eggs a week. She does cute little cream colored ones. Oh and she is a member-the only chicken- of a flock of five muscovies.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by