DON'T use Fabric Netting ! learn from my mistake !

I am a weather nut and watch it all day when there is a storm or snow coming.
This came in Wet snow and they didn't say that at first.
Otherwise I would have taken it down for the storm :( That is what I had done before.

My next 'cover' will be easily removed for Winter storms.
Actually I am hoping by next Winter i will have a farm and do things a bit more permanent and perfect ;)

...My next 'cover' will be easily removed for Winter storms.
Actually I am hoping by next Winter i will have a farm and do things a bit more permanent and perfect ;)

The weather sure can keep you on your toes!
If you're looking for a more permanent roof, I've been VERY please with the galvalume corrugated metal roofing I used. It's tough, sheds snow easily, and is pretty cheap (at least around here).

The shading can be a downside, though. I sandwiched panels of corrugated polycabonate between the galvalume panels to allow more sunlight in. But PC costs almost twice as much. And, of course, you have to have the right framing to hold the roof securely. We get a couple storms per year where winds are sustained at 40+ MPH, gusts 60-70 MPH. My roof is a giant kite! Had to really anchor it down!

@aart My wife ordered it, so I'm not 100% sure. But it was UV-resistant treated nylon, 2.4" holes, 25 ft x 50 ft, and it was ordered off Amazon. Some SOMETHING like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Netting-Bird-Poultry-Aviary-Square/dp/B078YQ3HRJ/

If you are curious about the exact brand/seller please let me know and I'll get her to dig up the order history. I was very impressed how it held up in the ice storms!

If you are curious about the exact brand/seller please let me know and I'll get her to dig up the order history. I was very impressed how it held up in the ice storms!
I just think it's important to reference exact products if at all possible.
'Bird netting' has a wide range of specifications.
The one you linked does not give the diameter of the 'strings', but some do.
I guess the weight given can translate to comparable strength, but would take some home work to figure out just how to do that comparison.
Sorry, I get a little anal about details. :oops:
I've seen several versions of this heavier bird netting work well even under snow load.

I just think it's important to reference exact products if at all possible.
'Bird netting' has a wide range of specifications.
The one you linked does not give the diameter of the 'strings', but some do.
I guess the weight given can translate to comparable strength, but would take some home work to figure out just how to do that comparison.
Sorry, I get a little anal about details. :oops:
I've seen several versions of this heavier bird netting work well even under snow load.

Makes sense! Not a problem at all. I'll see if we can dig the actual product up. If it doesn't list the diameter, I'll just measure it. Update forthcoming...

@aart Well this is a bummer. Here's the "actual" product we bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XEIRLC0

BUT! According to all the negative reviews this is junk (and they all start showing up several months after we made our purchase)... one reviewer said their first purchase was great (which has been our impression) so they ordered a second one and the second one was junk. So the seller has apparently replaced a reliable product with an unreliable one. Sorry I cannot currently point to a source for a high quality solution.

All I can say this: our net is constructed of 6 monofilaments twisted together, each with a dia of approx 13 mils (0.33mm). Average net strand dia 35-40 mils (0.9-1.0mm). Good luck net shoppers!

This is the actual netting I bought (had to go back and check my order as well) but I don't see diameter listed either: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I46MYK0 - any opinions on the strength of this netting as I'll probably need to buy more to cover my other run?

Since they actually list the strength and expected lifetime I'd say there's a good chance this is pretty good stuff. It's about twice the price I paid for mine. Looking at the pictures it looks heavier than mine, which one would hope for given it cost more :) So my gut feel is it should be pretty good.

If you're looking for a well-informed second opinion, might there be a bird sanctuary or zoo near you that you could ask opinions on what to look (out) for?

Wouldn't the main thing be that the holes be Too Small for a bird head to get into ?

It's going to depend on the installation. If it's just used as a roof, it's unlikely a bird will find a way to get its head in it at all. They see it from below so they're not inclined to fly up into it. And from outside they see it, but not as something they can land on. So they avoid it.

The problem is if it's near the ground and/or if it's used as a fence. Deer fence around the garden (as a wall) poses little risk to a chicken, whereas aviary netting is a much higher risk to them. But during the partial season we used deer fence (to keep a woodchuck out of the garden) it caught a couple dozen chickadees, finches, sparrows, etc. We got most of them freed but several of them did die in a no-doubt agonizing manner. So what's good for one bird very likely might be bad for another.

We've moved away from using any flexible barrier anywhere on the property now because of the risk to birds (both ours and wild). Our fencing must be rigid. The only netting is the aviary net over the girl's garden. Incidentally the chickadees can (and do) fly right through the garden's hog-panel fence. So they do get to partake of some of the good things in there. And they do have the good sense to keep low and avoid the roof :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom