Don't Wait! Start Extra Today. 4th Month Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t add any spices to our kraut. I don’t massage the sliced cabbage either. Kraut can be fermented in either canning jars or a crock.

A while back, I posted my crock method for kraut in the recipe section.

My family has used both these methods for fermenting Kraut.

In quart canning jars I fill with sliced cabbage leaving 1.5 inch of head space and sprinkle the top with 2 tsp of canning salt. I then add enough cold water to just cover the cabbage and loosely top with a lid and leave the screw top loose. This keeps out flies during the fermentation. I place jars on a rimmed cooking sheet covered with newspaper because the jars will foam during the fermentation process and will liquid will leak out. A good place to set the tray is in a cool garage…kraut can have an odor during fermentation. At four to 5 weeks, I rinse off the outside of the jar, wash the
lid and rim and seal the jar by processing jars for 5 minutes in a water bath.

By crock, I ferment in the spring as I harvest cabbage. In the crocks, I layer the cabbage and canning salt (ratio: 20 pounds of shredded cabbage and 7/8 cup canning salt) in the crock and pack with a pounding stick each layer.…layer cabbage and add a little salt repeating the layers. This mixes the salt and cabbage similar to massaging And the cabbage makes its own juices. I pack up to 5 inches from the top of the crock. I use heavy round glass crock plates for over the cabbage and place weights in ziplock bags on that. If you don’t have the glass dome for the crock, you can cover with towels, tie them tight with twine and then cover this with a sheet of plastic secured with tape. These I set in my cool garage on wood sticks to keep the crock off the floor. At four weeks, I check the crock and reseal if I think it needs more time. At 6 weeks the kraut is packed in canning jars, reserved liquid is added to the jars and these are sealed and water bathed for 5 minutes.
I have kept kraut made this way in a dark closet away from extreme temperatures safely for 4 years.
I am so trying this!!! Now that I’m at least settled into the new the house, getting back into the good life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom