Don't you hate it when...

Blisschick

not rusty
12 Years
Feb 20, 2007
Shepherd, Texas
You put in several eggs to hatch (in my case 18) and only ONE makes it? I'm now having to be chicken mama, and it's kind of hard tending to a lone peeping chick and not feeling guilty when you have to leave it alone to do other stuff.
hmm.png
I had this happen to me about two months ago, but at least I had other eggs that hatched about a week later, so it had friends. I've got it in a folded over dish towel where it's rooting around like it would under a mama, occasionally poking out it's head to talk to me. It's too freaking cute!

I think more of my eggs would have made it if it hadn't been for Hurricane Ike. I delayed starting the incubator before the storm, because I knew we'd lose power, so I waited until we got it back (6 days later) before firing it up. My poor eggs were on the backside of the 14 day time limit, but I honestly thought more would make it.
sad.png

Sorry only one made it, that's my luck too!
I always carry the little peep in my apron!
They love it, and I can get things done!
Brenda

We had to put a stuffed animal(cow) in with ours and it is a very happy and quiet little chick. I put the cow in a sitting position and the baby hides unferneath it...And sometimes I find it standing on top of it too. Of course when it hears me heading into the basement talking to it along the way , it starts up a chirping because it knows I'll be picking it up.

Last edited:
I'm seriously considering investing in a feather duster to toss in in case of emergency. Both my kids are teens now, so I don't have any small stuffed animals to put in with it.

It's been quiet for the most part, probably because it's dark in here now and it's got the towel to sleep on. I fed it a little earlier, making mama noises, and it dug in with enthusiasm. I had to feed it to keep it from eating my bottom lip! LOL

Don't you love it when they still haven't quite figured out how to work their little legs, so they tend to run very fast in the OPPOSITE direction they want to? I've named this one Weeble, 'cause it wobbles all over the place.
tongue.png

I tried the mirror thing with the last chick, but it didn't go so well. He would get bored with the "other chick" when it wouldn't interact with him, then start peeping his head off. Go figure, I broke it anyway cleaning off my table. Maybe if I get one in sooner than I did last time, it may like it's company better than the other one.

Last edited:
There are several around here, but chicks are usually an Easter/spring thing around here. I did think about that, but there aren't any in the nearby towns that stock them this time of year.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom