Doors open in the winter??? ***pic***

yellowchickensmomma

Songster
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
My coop has split door on the front and window on the back. During the day I normally open the two top doors for fresh air because it gets stuffy in the summer. Theres not any shade. I had DH cut the doors after we had some wild dogs get in and kill my chickens. Now that it is getting cold should I continue to open the top doors. The wind blow through alot and they kind of act like they don't want to ruffle there fuzzy rumps in the wind. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

39457_img00051-20091017-1326.jpg

Chickens hate the wind so if it is blowing definitely close the doors.
I have open front coops fro my free ranging birds and they will do their best to get out of any wind but my coop faces the south and seldom do we get much wind from that direction.
Since your birds can go outside during the day I would close those doors to allow them some protection if they feel the need. I understand about the summer being so hot but winter may be a time to close them up a bit. It is best to have some air flow for ventilation though.

...and you could always add a pop door to that design at the bottom if you wished...the exact weather that day is the key.

They hate drafts and direct wind and you could fill up with snow...we leave our pop door open most winter days, except during blizzards or when the chill factor is severe...

If it's really windy or snowing really good, then I'd shut the doors to keep the coop a little warmer. But when it's pleasant out and the sun is shining on that side of the building it wouldn't hurt to have it open to allow some ventilation but I'd shut them up at night just for warmth.

Drafts are a big problem for chickens. They do need some ventilation though. Cut a small ventilation hole up under the roof eave to vent for health then close those doors!

Quote:
I have a pop door on the side that goes into the run. Do you think I need one on the front too???

39457_img00037-20091010-1602.jpg

You can see the pop door behind the cat.

Vents::: we have some on the roof and the window in the back.

Last edited:
I'd close those front doors if it was me. They will let all your heat out and all the snow in. That said, I have to admit that I am really coveting those dutch doors. I want one really bad.

Your pop door is fine. Your coop likely won't be as stuffy in the winter time. You mentioned vents in the roof - is it enough? I'd keep the window shut as well, but remember I'm in a place that gets really cold.

Your ventilation is even more important in the winter -- moist mildly cold air can result in frostbite. You want the moisture venting out and the coop to be dry. Do a search on ventilation (in the blue bar above) or check out Patandchickens page. She has a great deal of knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom