Dosages for Denagard???

CRD was one of the diseases that has been going around, the big one was AI which I know this is no cure for. No I don't plan on keeping them on this year round, they don't free range year round. In the winter they are locked up tight so no need to take extra precautions during those months. I am not big on buying birds from swaps and go to them only to sell once in awhile. I didn't realize this would offend anyone just asking for dosages.
The site Pips&peeps gave a link for states when using this as a preventative you give the meds 1-2 days every3-4 weeks which to me is not that often IMO espeically when the season is short here.

Last edited:
The OP probably doesn't know if her flock is healthy or not. I doubt if they spent the outrageous amount of money it costs to test her flock. MS & MG are a mostly silent disease; according to the Director of the National NPIP Program 98% of the flocks in the US have MS and MG.

MG sits in the bird and even though it does not look ill, it is and it can cause reproductive damage and birds will stop laying.

I have not had all my birds tested, I can't afford that so yes you are right, altho I have never had symptoms to any of these I would rather be safe then sorry.

I was talking to our state vet today as we re-upped our NPIP and asked about this- he had questions, too, so I was reading up just now. It appears that Denagard has proven over the last 25 years that use at a preventative dose in situations exactly like this have NOT shown any resistance at all in various forms of Mycoplasma. In fact, several major studies were done comparing several antimicrobials (antibiotics, bacteriostats, etc) and this was the clear winner! Denagard is prescribed within the poultry industry in other countries as a preventative to prevent infection when outbreaks are known in the area. I think it's fine in this case, too.

pips&peeps :

MS & MG are a mostly silent disease; according to the Director of the National NPIP Program 98% of the flocks in the US have MS and MG.

MG sits in the bird and even though it does not look ill, it is and it can cause reproductive damage and birds will stop laying.

I had read a thread that said 70% or more .... but wow, 98% is scary. That is really all of us.

So, about this Denagard (tiamulin) .... I assume you can not use the eggs for a time, correct? Is it used 1 - 2 days a month, is that correct? I have include 2 links to information I found..... also a quote.

Control of MS infections might require a higher inclusion rate of up to 500ppm tiamulin (25mg/kg bwt) depending on the susceptibility of the strain involved, as MS is generally less susceptible to tiamulin than MG.

Conclusions:
Mycoplasma infections in breeder hens are still a major problem in Europe, Asia, and Latin America. Utilising the unique pharmacokinetic qualities of some antibiotics like tiamulin, which concentrate in eggs, to break the chain of infection from vertical transmission, may be one useful tool to improve poultry health and production in the regions.

Overall, tiamulin is a highly effective antimycoplasmal antibiotic and can cause complete bacteriological cure or elimination, similar to bactericidal antimicrobials, when plasma levels in excess of the MBC are reached, especially in the early stages of infection.

http://www.octagon-services.co.uk/articles/poultry/gallisepticum.htm

http://www.octagon-services.co.uk/articles/poultry/antibiotics.htm

Denagard is advertised by the company as NOT having an egg withdrawal period at all. Now, keep in mind that this is for countries outside of the U.S. It has not been studied/tested by the 'powers that be' to be used on poultry in the U.S.-- so, use in the U.S on poultry is 'off label' use. Honestly, this has more to do with large production operations and the FDA... than 'safety'... but the explanation is a bit much a message board really. I believe in swine, which is is labeled for use in the U.S. (if I'm not mistaken), it was a 3 day withdrawal before slaughter of meat. That's a pretty short 'half-life' of the meds in the animal's system. BUT, part of this is also due to the fact that the med in denagard isn't used in human treatments... so there is no concern of antibiotic resistance with any trace amounts in the processed animal. Which, btw, is the main reason why most dewormers and medications have a withdrawal period OR say they should not be used in animals intended for meat/food for humans... not because the medication is toxic or harmful in such small residual amounts in humans, BUT because nearly ALL those meds are ALSO used in the treatment of human conditions...and ingesting trace amounts over time builds resistance to those meds--- which means big trouble if/when they're needed to treat an illness/infection in people.

I would personally not toss eggs, and go with the no withdrawal period for my own use.
It'd be your personal choice to use a withdrawal period or not...but if using the product as a preventative a few days to a week out of a month, you'd be lucky if you had two weeks of eggs you could eat.... if you followed the 14 day standard egg withdrawal advice for various meds. (or longer depending on who you ask) That'd certainly be counterproductive to using the meds at all, if you ask me-- the goal being a healthy, producing flock-- which is pointless if you toss half the eggs every month.
hmm.png

Hey guys, I think I want to have this one on hand just in case. Someone in our area picked up CRD at a show. Where are you getting it? I don't want to use it continually (cost and I don't believe in continual antibiotic usage) but I do believe in having pharmaceuticals at the ready.

I know this is an older thread, but I just had a huge outbreak of CRD in my flock and have lost almost 20 birds in the last week. I immediately started treating with Duramycin when I heard the first coughs, but I know it doesn't do much of anything, however, it was all I had on hand and figured something was better than nothing. The next day I got some Tylan 50 injectable and started treating. I started losing birds right before my eyes, and let me tell you, I am a tough woman who my kids even ask if I EVER cry, and I almost started right then. I ended losing most of one pen of Dark Cornish that I raised this summer. I had to put down a few that I knew were going to keel over (literally since they end up having heart attacks due to lack of oxygen and flip on their backs dead). I have over 200 birds, so this got scary really fast!
The Tylan still didn't work on some, even though they had 2 daily doses of 1 ml each administered orally (this is how I found to treat my turkeys when they got sinitis). Today, I rejoice that I did not go out to any dead birds. This is the first day in almost a week. Catching every bird to give them Tylan is a pain the ***, but worth it when I go out and see once sick birds eating and running around again.
I did find Denagard and read up on how effective it is. Funny, my husband works for Novartis and it would be nice if I could get a discount, but just glad it got here quickly and I am putting it in their water today. Just had to check how much, so thanks Pips&Peeps!
This is my business. I cannot afford to lose this many and not act on it quickly and effectively, so I hope this is going to clear up this crud. I do get wild birds in the coops, and it amazes me the small holes they find to get it. I also pasture raise my birds to the extent it is possible, but the breeding pens are being confined for the upcoming hatching season. I know my culprit bird(s) and they are gone. Hopefully, I will never experience something so devastating again, but if the Denagard works as well as I have read, then I am keeping it on hand and doing a preventive treatment at least once a year.
I want to add, the weather we have had here in Minnesota the last couple of months has not helped this kind of stuff. Even my open-air coop has felt damp and stuff the last couple of days. The fluctuations of warm and cold have just wreaked havoc with the birds, and so it is no surprise that when this whole thing started it just spread like wildfire.
I will post how everyone is doing in a week. So far, the Tylan does work in making them act better, but I have to try and make sure that there is no lingering MS/MG for my testing for the 2013 season. If I can't pass to get my NPIP this year, I will be crying.
Thanks to all of you who are willing to share your knowledge and help those of us with less experience.

Back
Top Bottom