Dose anyone else feel this way?

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Songster
8 Years
Sep 24, 2011
Jacksonville N.C
Before I had chickens I was like oh hawk cool big bird eats animals.
cool.png
Now I have chickens and I feel as though every hawk/volture is a personal threat.
hide.gif
There were like 8 of them around my house today
barnie.gif
So when I'am home I go and sit with the chickens when the hawks are there or check on them an lot
hu.gif
Is this just me?

Last edited by a moderator:
No it is not just you. Lately I've been seeing a large kind of bird I don't know what it is but I think it is a hawk of some kind. Haven't seen any all summer. Just saw him today a couple of hours ago. He flew of when he saw me even though he was kinda far away. Last time I saw him the crows and bluejays where running him off. Now I am looking at the back window and going outside to check on the girls very often. The vultures around here don't mess with my girls. I seem them all the time. They are more interested in dead carcasses. Which is probably alot here because of the drought.

Last edited:
No, it's not just you, and you are wise to feel that your flock is threatened. I have not had any problems with hawks until yesterday when the girls were out running around in the horse arena (which is now their area since we don't have horses anymore) and a hawk swooped down and landed on my Dark Brahma, Nugget's, back not more than 30 feet away from me. She was actually under a tree and standing directly at the fence, which I'm sure is what saved her because I don't think the hawk had enough leverage on her to sink it's talons in her back. Plus, I think it was a juvenile as well. Nugget hollered and shook it off and it landed on the fence directly above her. By this time I was running across the arena screaming bloody murder...of course as fast as a 42 yo lady wearing muck boots can run.
lol.png

It was really weird because I got to about only 5 feet from it before it took off. It was not in the least bit scared of me. Nugget was running toward me by that time, so I scooped her up and inspected her closely...not a scratch on her. WHEW!!! Too close of a call for this lady that's for sure!! So good for you for being diligent. I think I have been out to check them about 20 times today so far.
tongue.png

I love to see the hawks, eagles, and owls.

They help keep the rodents under control and kill at least some of the Sage Rats.

I am the one who decided to bring my poultry into an area dangerous to them and where they can't defend themselves and, therefore, it is my responsibility to keep them safe. So I have secure covered runs.

So far, I haven't had any hawks large enough or hungry enough to tackle a 9 pound duck. If the raptors start harming my birds, then I will move the birds full time into their covered night run and they will only be allowed out when I am out in the orchard working. Their night runs were built large enough to be full time housing, just in case the local eagles develop a taste for duck.

I've had a Bald Eagle perched on a fence post by my stock pond. 4 tall Scottish Deerhounds and I stood not 30 feet away from it, observing it and it gave no indication of being bothered by our presence. When I decided to see how close I could get, I got another 10 feet closer to it before it flew. They really aren't much impressed by humans or dogs, either one.

I love the raptors. My favorite birds of all. I visit the World Bird Sanctuary in Fenton, Missouri several times a year....they have tons of raptors and you can literally get within a few feet of the magnificent birds.

You don't have to worry about vultures/....they eat dead things and only dead things. They never kill their own food.

You don't have to worry about bald eagles....their diet consists almost totally of fish, like 90% and the rest is carrion and/or whatever they can catch.

N.C chicken Owner :

There were like 8 of them around my house today

If there were 8 of them circling, then you, nor your chickens have anything to worry about. Those weren't hawks or eagles or owls or anything that would kill a chicken. Those were vultures.....and vultures only eat carrion.....dead things. The birds that would kill a chicken would be traveling alone or in pairs, not 8 together.​

Last edited:
It's the migration season so you may be noticing more hawks flying south and of course, they have to eat on the way! The good news is that they are indeed traveling and won't stay long. The bad news is they are looking for easy pickings and many are juveniles.

Back
Top Bottom