Dose my Silkie Have Bugs?

mdtansley

In the Brooder
May 8, 2021
My 7 month old laying silkie hen is acting strange lately. I determined in an earlier thread that she is being broody and that the heat got to her a little, and I have begun dealing with that. She is doing better, but not I have reasons that lead me to believe that she might have bugs of some sort. She shakes/stretches/flaps her wings and her little silkie feathers and I've seen her pecking all around her body. We looked around for bugs a little bit but we didn't see anything big and concluded that any smaller bugs would be very hard to find. How should I treat this? She and our other hens do take little dust baths in a nice dirt area they found that is the perfect area and medium to do so, but should I give her a real bath? I know silkies shouldn't get wet, but I've read about others giving their chickens baths and then blow drying. Should I do that with a bug treatment? Any suggestions or even any other things this might be are very appreciated.

You shouldnt treat for anything unless you know what it is. I would check the roost at night also for mites. Mites dont stay on the chickens but bite them at night and can make them itchy.

Some species of mite can remain on chickens 24/7 while the roost mite only gets on them at night. Lice and mites should be seen crawling around and their eggs would be left behind. I would not treat for those until I saw them or the eggs. Gordons or Martins Permethrin 10 liquid concentrate can be mixed with water and sprayed on the chicken to treat lice or mites. At least 2 treatments every 7-10 days are required to get the lice or mites and then the newly hatched ones before they reproduce. Most birds and chickens will scratch a bit and groom themselves with oil from their preen gland. Here is a good article with pictures of what to look for:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Back
Top Bottom