Double- and Triple-Yolker Egg Hatching?

ClareScifi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Someone told me today that if you have a fertilized egg that has a double or triple yolk, 2 or 3 chicks will hatch from it. Is that true??? And wouldn't it make it easier for the egg to hatch with 2 or 3 egg teeth pecking away at it, instead of just one? Now I am sick that I didn't put my giant double yolkers under my Banty. I didn't think they would work, but my friend says they do!

All personal experiences with this will be fun to read, so please share them with me!

Interesting! Thanks, folks. My double yolk layer is half white leghorn, half Buff, I think. Guess what? The eggs have started peeping/chirping, and it's loud! It won't be long now~ I am so excited!!!!

Most "twin" chicks do not survive because of positioning/air cells/etc. Hatching naturally is extremely rare.

Sometimes, they make it if they are helped.

Please visit this thread where it was done successfully -- extremely interesting: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/104245/double-yolker-yolk-hatched-video-p-16-13-week-pics-p-51

Odds are not very good for double yolkers, but it might be interesting to try!
smile.png

How many eggs did you set?

Interesting! Thanks, folks. My double yolk layer is half white leghorn, half Buff, I think. Guess what? The eggs have started peeping/chirping, and it's loud! It won't be long now~ I am so excited!!!!

Exciting
big_smile.png
What breeds?

My eggs are only on Day 4. I candled 2 White Silkie eggs and both showed development! However, I can't see through any of my other eggs. It will be a long time to wait.

The Papa is the Lemon Blue Rooster in my Avatar. He's part Aracauna part Buff Orpington, I think. Would be fun if his offspring lay colored eggs. Mated with a Barred Rock, and two half white legorns. One is part Rhode Island Red, I think, and the other is part Buff Orpington. I can't wait to see what they look like!

I think it's likely that your rooster carries 1 copy of the blue egg gene, and thus half of his offspring will lay light blue or green! Not totally sure about this but it makes sense to me.

Araucana (2 blue genes) x Buff Orpington (2 brown genes) = your rooster, 1 brown gene and 1 blue gene

Rooster (1 brown, 1 blue) x your hens (2 brown or white genes) = 50% have 1 blue egg gene and 1 brown/white gene, 50% all brown/white

Someone may correct me on this! But if he truly is half Araucana, it seems likely
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom