Double decker exterior nest box plans?

GeneGoddess

Songster
10 Years
Sep 1, 2009
Maryland
I'm trying to design my nest boxes and I think that a double decker will serve best. The wall for the boxes is only 40” wide and would fit likely 3 boxes in width. But I’m planning for 10-12 chickens and am worried 3 boxes may not be enough (chicken math!).

There are tons of plans out there for single level boxes with either top or back opening. Given how creative BYC people are, has anyone ever made a double decker box (I’m thinking six total, three on each level) with exterior access (back on lower level and either back or top on upper level). I’ve seen stacked metal ones, but no DIY versions.

Has anyone ever made this? And suggestions? Thanks!

JT, I LOVE your roll out box. And it is being considered. But I’m possibly interested in raising some chicks if a hen goes broody. How do you deal with that? And do you ever have a problem with eggs freezing in the winter?

JT, I LOVE your roll out box. And it is being considered. But I’m possibly interested in raising some chicks if a hen goes broody. How do you deal with that? And do you ever have a problem with eggs freezing in the winter?

I don't have any roosters so I don't have to worry about broody hens. I get my chicks from Cackle Hatchery and raise them in my brooder in the garage.

JT

I need to take and post pictures. We basically converted a gazebo like this one: https://goo.gl/images/FRzJaV

And closed in the walls and built a run adjacent to it. We call it the Chicken Yurt. The posts are appropriately 42” apart, so for exterior nest boxes, the width is set. I don’t want to use two side for nest boxes, hence the double decker idea.

If you're going to plan for broody hens and chicks, have a FLOOR LEVEL interior box that has a hardware cloth frame in front and a door that closes in the back. We made ours open to the "people" area so mommas with small babies can have their private space- but everyone sees eachother through the hardware cloth. The other nice thing about it is while she's broody, she can get up to eat and poop unmolested- and nobody gets into her nest. But she can still see everyone. If you like, you can open her nest up once a day at the same time so she can take care of her business in and among the flock- just close the door after and use that time to clean the coop or fill feeders or whatever- then open it just when she's ready to come back. Works a treat.

So we made our double decker nestbox. The roll away plans were a bit too complicated, so we went with a traditional style. Our oldest is only 2mo, so we don’t have shavings in yet. I am considering leaving it open or putting in dividers. Will likely add a “perch” to assist in accessing the upper level. A floor level potential “broody box” can be closed off if needed. Exterior drop down doors that have two locks each. And, in theory, can place a rod through the handles as well. Shingles and tar paper on the roof. The upper level has a bit of a “loft” for headroom. 39” wide and 13” deep (interior). 13” high on bottom, a touch more on the top but it slopes down.

9C20238C-397A-4174-A586-9F5E5807BD00.jpeg
B1A6F8E9-F4A2-4677-A4F0-85796889CEE0.jpeg
C3C2B0CD-F48D-44DE-AC50-659D026B0800.jpeg
D0A6E794-4776-4ED5-9B7C-62A691EB05D4.jpeg
2576E26C-49BC-4F09-899F-3BD78E441DB7.jpeg
BDE73135-CF1B-4A12-97DD-14E693DF81A7.jpeg
5452658A-3081-4C46-B38C-09A5FB11416F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom