Double Embryos!

I don't have a link but there are some videos on the internet about somebody hatching double yolked eggs. Usually it doesn't work at all, sometimes you will get one chick but even that is rare. In the video I'm thinking about they did get two chicks but it required a lot of hands on help. You might try an internet search just in case.

Very cool! Will be watching to see what happens. There is a possibility it's not twins though, just two parts of the same embryo. Especially because the part on the right isn't as dark as the other one, and doesn't have a clearly identifiable dark black "dot" (the eye). I've had this happen before - the chick is stretched out in the egg and the head is on one side, and the feet on the other, moving independently and looking like two separate things, but actually just two parts to one whole. Those have proceeded to develop and hatch as single chicks. Time will tell, but that's a possibility.
Alright you guessed 100% correctly! The chick must have been lying across the egg perhaps. Anyway an update is that the embryo(s) stopped moving and then in the morning when I checked, all the veins had shrunken in and there was a 'dead' egg. I opened it to have a look and there was one single chick inside! So strange! Boy I was confused. So sad also to lose another potential chicken, but will try again with a better incubator. The good news is that 10 quail hatched so I moved my last egg into that incubator, which will hopefully hatch next Saturday. I took a couple photos of the chick but unsure if people want or need to see it, it's literally just a dead chick on a plate :(

I don't have a link but there are some videos on the internet about somebody hatching double yolked eggs. Usually it doesn't work at all, sometimes you will get one chick but even that is rare. In the video I'm thinking about they did get two chicks but it required a lot of hands on help. You might try an internet search just in case.
Thanks, I'll have a look around when I have a minute.

Very cool! Will be watching to see what happens. There is a possibility it's not twins though, just two parts of the same embryo. Especially because the part on the right isn't as dark as the other one, and doesn't have a clearly identifiable dark black "dot" (the eye). I've had this happen before - the chick is stretched out in the egg and the head is on one side, and the feet on the other, moving independently and looking like two separate things, but actually just two parts to one whole. Those have proceeded to develop and hatch as single chicks. Time will tell, but that's a possibility.
Also Kokoshka, not related to the chicken egg, but do you watch ImpulseSV, he says a name very similar to yours in his streams.

Alright you guessed 100% correctly! The chick must have been lying across the egg perhaps. Anyway an update is that the embryo(s) stopped moving and then in the morning when I checked, all the veins had shrunken in and there was a 'dead' egg. I opened it to have a look and there was one single chick inside! So strange! Boy I was confused. So sad also to lose another potential chicken, but will try again with a better incubator. The good news is that 10 quail hatched so I moved my last egg into that incubator, which will hopefully hatch next Saturday. I took a couple photos of the chick but unsure if people want or need to see it, it's literally just a dead chick on a plate :(
I'm sorry to hear the chick didn't make it :( They can look really strange in there sometimes, multiple pieces moving independently, I can see how it would be tempting to interpret that as being two separate chicks. I've noticed that there are often two areas of movement - the head and the feet - up until it gets too tight for the chick to spread out and move a lot. The dark, black "dot" of the eye is the giveaway, and I just didn't see one in the second area of movement in your video. Hope your last egg has better success in the other incubator!

Back
Top Bottom