Double Embryos!

wyancrazy

Songster
Oct 27, 2018
Wow, first time I've seen two embryos in the one egg. I am fully aware they probably will fail as there isn't enough room, but it's amazing to see while candling. I took a quick video of it.
If you want to see, I am gobsmacked and keep wanting to check it but I'm letting it alone to grow. Hope to see what happens.

Th
Yes also curious what day number you’re on for incubation?
They are due to hatch in 8 days, so they are on day 13. I'm not holding my breath, but it's so cool to watch two dancing around in the egg! Another egg in the incubator shows a much larger embryo though, so they are delayed a bit. Probably due to being two in there, I guess?

Th

They are due to hatch in 8 days, so they are on day 13. I'm not holding my breath, but it's so cool to watch two dancing around in the egg! Another egg in the incubator shows a much larger embryo though, so they are delayed a bit. Probably due to being two in there, I guess?
That awesome!!! I hope they hatch!!!

Very cool! Will be watching to see what happens. There is a possibility it's not twins though, just two parts of the same embryo. Especially because the part on the right isn't as dark as the other one, and doesn't have a clearly identifiable dark black "dot" (the eye). I've had this happen before - the chick is stretched out in the egg and the head is on one side, and the feet on the other, moving independently and looking like two separate things, but actually just two parts to one whole. Those have proceeded to develop and hatch as single chicks. Time will tell, but that's a possibility.

Very cool! Will be watching to see what happens. There is a possibility it's not twins though, just two parts of the same embryo. Especially because the part on the right isn't as dark as the other one, and doesn't have a clearly identifiable dark black "dot" (the eye). I've had this happen before - the chick is stretched out in the egg and the head is on one side, and the feet on the other, moving independently and looking like two separate things, but actually just two parts to one whole. Those have proceeded to develop and hatch as single chicks. Time will tell, but that's a possibility.
Yes I am hoping that it's just the head and feet of the same embryo, but I'm sure it's two as they move separately and both have the eye dot that I could see a few days ago. Last night (12 hours ago) they were both still wriggling. The incubator keeps over heating though, so I'm getting another incubator to switch them into, just waiting for quail to hatch there first which should happen today, fingers crossed.

Watching! That's really interesting.

How many eggs do you have that are going to go into lockdown?
& Good luck on your hatch :)
I started with 23 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 6 of my own Campine x Aracauna x Silkie and at day 6 I could pick out the unfertilised ones and a cracked one, then the incubator started heating like crazy and soaring up to 41 degrees at one point. So I am pulling out dead embryo eggs left right and center, so disappointed as the incubator was good before this. Amazingly all I am left with is 1 Wyandotte, which is this egg (and it also has a crack in it) and 1 of my own Campine x eggs. I have more eggs coming next weekend from my Mum's farm, and this next lot will go into my other incubator. Guess I'll be looking for another incubator!

Back
Top Bottom