Advice for hatching twin embryos in one egg? Lockdown tomorrow..?

May 11, 2023
*Edited to add a video of egg in question and a photo of one of the other eggs in the incubator to show how much farther along the other eggs look (third photo)

Ok so I started incubating my silkie eggs 10/17 so they are about to be on day 16. Silkies tend to start hatching a bit early for me so I was going to start lockdown tomorrow night or Thursday morning. I just candled them as I haven’t recently, everyone looks great except for 1 egg.

So the egg in question looks to be developing much slower, it looks like an egg that should be on day 12 or something? Also I’ve never seen this before so im not sure if I'm just a dingus and interpreting it incorrectly but it looks like there’s two separate embreyos on each side of the egg?? They both have veins around them and are both wiggling around like normal. I took a video but I think I can’t post videos on here idk sorry 😭 but I’ll post screenshots from it of both embryos.

It looks like twins right? Or am i crazy lol. One is on each side of the egg like directly across from one another. They’re both alive and moving around.

I have another incubator should I move this guy (guys) into it on their own and keep turning it for a few more days / until it looks more ready to lock down, if it survives that is 😅

Have any of you hatched a twin egg?? What are its chances of both babies making it?

98DB01E9-AEF3-4CA3-BAF7-1C68B52FA7D7.jpeg
B8A0DF11-830B-42E5-A64A-4A7F1E9B3C02.jpeg
E84632A2-AE95-4DAD-8342-BBE375D29E33.jpeg

Last edited:
It's hard to tell if there is 2 embryos developing in a still photo....a video would definitely be helpful in determing if there is 2 embryos!

Most of the time, 99.9% the embryos will not develop to hatch. Usually, one will die and that is a death sentence for the remaining embryo....plus there just isn't enough room in the egg for 2 to develop.

Ok so I started incubating my silkie eggs 10/17 so they are about to be on day 16.
I count it like this:
10/17 is day 0
10/18 is day 1
10/19 is day 2...
...today, 10/31, is day 14

I just candled them as I haven’t recently, everyone looks great except for 1 egg.

So the egg in question looks to be developing much slower, it looks like an egg that should be on day 12 or something?
It might just be developing slower for some mysterious reason of its own.

But is there a chance of the incubator having a cool spot? Cooler temperatures definitely can slow down the development of an egg. Since most of them are fine, then most of the incubator must be fine too. But it could be worth checking whether the incubator is next to something cool, or has a small air leak, or has something inside that affects how the air circulates, or anything else that might cause one part to be cooler than the rest. (I once had bad hatches from half an incubator, because that side was next to a refrigerator.)

Also I’ve never seen this before so im not sure if I'm just a dingus and interpreting it incorrectly but it looks like there’s two separate embreyos on each side of the egg?? They both have veins around them and are both wiggling around like normal.
Unfortunately I don't know the answer to that. I've never dealt with a twin egg.

I have another incubator should I move this guy (guys) into it on their own and keep turning it for a few more days / until it looks more ready to lock down, if it survives that is 😅
That sounds like a good idea. No matter what reason it is slow, it probably does need more time than the others.

I just candled my silkie eggs as lockdown starts Thursday morning so less than 2 days from now, and I haven’t candled in a while, they all look good and just as they should for being the night before lockdown, except for 1 egg.
Omg if anyone is here I accidentally posted this before I finished typing please hold 🥲
It's hard to tell if there is 2 embryos developing in a still photo....a video would definitely be helpful in determing if there is 2 embryos!

Most of the time, 99.9% the embryos will not develop to hatch. Usually, one will die and that is a death sentence for the remaining embryo....plus there just isn't enough room in the egg for 2 to
I count it like this:
10/17 is day 0
10/18 is day 1
10/19 is day 2...
...today, 10/31, is day 14

It might just be developing slower for some mysterious reason of its own.

But is there a chance of the incubator having a cool spot? Cooler temperatures definitely can slow down the development of an egg. Since most of them are fine, then most of the incubator must be fine too. But it could be worth checking whether the incubator is next to something cool, or has a small air leak, or has something inside that affects how the air circulates, or anything else that might cause one part to be cooler than the rest. (I once had bad hatches from half an incubator, because that side was next to a refrigerator.)

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to that. I've never dealt with a twin egg.

That sounds like a good idea. No matter what reason it is slow, it probably does need more time than the others.
Thank you for all of this!
So I was counting them as being on (almost) day 16 because I started incubating them the early morning of 10/17, and when I googled if you’re supposed to count the day you put them in or not, the first thing I saw was that you count that day as day 1 if you put them in in the morning, if later in the day you count it as day 0. I admit I didn’t check any other sources to see if this is the norm or not.
So in a couple hours from now it will be exactly their 16th day in there. I included a photo in my original post, candling one of the other eggs in there, um which is about how all the rest of them look. There’s 11 total.

It is possible there’s cold spots. The incubator isn’t in a spot that would be getting hit by a draft or anything that would be effecting it’s temperature I don’t think, I have a thermometer in the incubator now but my other two recently stopped working correctly, I’ll try to buy a couple more tomorrow and put them in there too. I will say though the other 10 eggs in there look the same as each other as far as development goes. So I dunno!

Most of the time, 99.9% the embryos will not develop to hatch. Usually, one will die and that is a death sentence for the remaining embryo....plus there just isn't enough room in the egg for 2 to develop.
Thank you! I added a video to my original post. Hopefully if this is a double embryo egg it falls in that .1% but I’ll try not to get my hopes up especially considering it seems to be developing a little slower than the rest.

No it does not it also doesn't look like it's on day 16.
I added a video you can see what’s going on better in there. And I mentioned this in a previous reply to someone but I counted the day I put them in 10/17 as day 1 as I did so around 5am I believe.. it’s currently 3:45am on 11/1 so in about an hour they’ll have been in there exactly 16 days. If you don’t count the day I put them in, then it would be 15.

*Edited to add a video of egg in question and a photo of one of the other eggs in the incubator to show how much farther along the other eggs look (third photo)

Ok so I started incubating my silkie eggs 10/17 so they are about to be on day 16. Silkies tend to start hatching a bit early for me so I was going to start lockdown tomorrow night or Thursday morning. I just candled them as I haven’t recently, everyone looks great except for 1 egg.

So the egg in question looks to be developing much slower, it looks like an egg that should be on day 12 or something? Also I’ve never seen this before so im not sure if I'm just a dingus and interpreting it incorrectly but it looks like there’s two separate embreyos on each side of the egg?? They both have veins around them and are both wiggling around like normal. I took a video but I think I can’t post videos on here idk sorry 😭 but I’ll post screenshots from it of both embryos.

It looks like twins right? Or am i crazy lol. One is on each side of the egg like directly across from one another. They’re both alive and moving around.

Have any of you hatched a twin egg?? What are its chances of both babies making it?

View attachment 3673048View attachment 3673049View attachment 3673220
Idk if its just me but I don't see movement, despite veins, it also looks a little behind in development. There could be reasons for this, are you turning the egg? If so how often is this happening? What temp is the incubator and do you have a calibrated thermometer?

Back
Top Bottom