Double kit box

Tippler

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 13, 2011
Desert Hills (PHX)
Wanted to share the kit box my brother and I just finished up.
Offer up a way to keep pigeons in a clean and organized manner.
We have done the walk in loft style and now a kit box. These would not be useful for show birds. We work three breeds and they all are flyers.
We only have on built now with 2 more in the near future.
You can of course build this as just a single unit, I have even seen quaduples.

Last edited:
that is a nice kit box
smile.png

Thats very nice indeed!

Is it difficult to lean into the box to clean the nesting boxes?

I only have one pair of king pigeons, but I am going to get more and need ideas how to make a small enclosure for them, that is not a walk in coop.

that is a nice kit box
smile.png
Thanks you. A lot of time was spent planning this out. Must thank my neighbor Tim who made it possible by allowing us to use his wood shop and teaching us proper carpentry.
Nice job on the kit box. Will you be flying tipplers out of it?
Of Course that's what it's for. Tipplers in this one, NY Flights in another and for the third one side tumblers and the other side will be extra birds/for sale. (Breeding will now be done in a 4x8' which is currently my overflow loft).
Thats very nice indeed!

Is it difficult to lean into the box to clean the nesting boxes?

I only have one pair of king pigeons, but I am going to get more and need ideas how to make a small enclosure for them, that is not a walk in coop.
No, internally is 3 feet deep however from front to the box perch is 2.5 no problem reaching in. The actual loft part is a foot or so off the ground and only 4 feet tall total.
I would only keep kings or any non flying breed in here unless you are going to let them out often. We fly year round here so they get out almost daily. Otherwise this is not enough space to live comfortably in 24/7

Last edited:
Could you please explain what the Tipplers and NY flying flights do in flight? I know they don't roll. Thank you. I was thinking about getting FOR's but it seems like training them is a job, though it would be rewarding. Anyway, nice kit box. I could use one to fly my Horseman out of. Do you know how much it cost to build? If you don't mind me asking.

Yes, you're right, they are straight flyers. Tipplers were originally bred for competition flying. The name of the game is who's birds can stay up the longest. The catch is they must be seen at least once an hour or they are DQ. Because of this they stay very close to the loft. and will fly relatively tight circles. Not as whippy as the flights, but casual swings in either direction. They can also hit the "pins" which is the point in the sky where you can see them but can't actually see them flap their wings. The next step up is disappearing which is what high flyers will do not tipplers as some ignorantly call them "high flying tipplers". People (not us) still compete but that is all but done away with. Mostly they are just "backyard birds" and flown in large flocks or stocks. In competition they fly no more than 7 birds allowed however most fly just 3. In New York you can catch them in the hundreds.
Here is a video of some of ours from a little while back.
Here is a video link to a buddy in Florida's Tipplers. Give it a minute as the birds start off in the pins.

Flights like the Tipplers fly straight, however unlike the Tipplers these have always been a backyard bird and will not fly as long as the Tips do. You can still expect a couple hours in good weather. I've heard of flyers getting 10 our of them. Flights make tighter circles and fly in a tornado pattern with birds (depending upon stock size) sometimes a hundred plus feet lower. They will also "roll out" which means they will leave their loft and travel a couple to 5 miles making circles the whole way gathering up other birds or small stocks in the process. This is a game played in NY call 'Catch keep'
Most agree due to flying style flights are better than Tipplers at this however many fly mixed stocks and some just Tipplers.
We have not been working long with flights and have been flying the young with our Tips so their flying style has been the same so far. Will be splitting them up soon enough.
Flights are also known for being the best "pumpers" which are birds used to feed other birds. The show guys use them to feed their birds which can't feed their own young like short face Budapest and such. They are not flighty at all either and will guard their nest hardcore. With out Tipplers we have found mixed results in the breeding loft. Some will fight you some will be calm and let you see the young with them next to you, other will leave the nest as soon as we enter. Most do okay though.
Here are some flights. (video is not mine)
For some reason can't get a second video to work here is the linke:
It's hard to youtube for New York Flying flights and not get a bunch of airline crap if you don't know who to look at so here is another:

As far as the kit box cost. around $500 or so. Spent $40 on screws and $60 on screen however the screen will do my next two and the screws may finish another. The roofing was also $50 if I remember correctly and will finish the next two as well.

I don't know much about Oriental Rollers however what do you mean by training them? They should not require anything diffrent than any other flying breed.

BTW I have 24 Flights for sale in the other poulty section here.

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining that.

FOR's generally need a little more "persuading" to get them flying and rolling good. No really serious training. Just a little more "tact" and experience needed for optimal performance I guess.\

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom