Double Layer

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cornfedup, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Cornfedup

Cornfedup In the Brooder

Sep 15, 2017
    I have a year old Pekin hen that has been laying TWO giant eggs every morning. We are on day six now. They have plenty of oyster shells and are on duck layer feed in addition to free range and produce treats but I’m worried about her bones if she keeps this up. Is there anything else I should be supplementing?

Miss Lydia and Farmer Connie like this.
  2. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    CAMERA-SMILEY-BYC-BG.gif :confused::wee:woot:highfive:

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I had a Buff that laid double yolkers daily and that had me worried since both are a clitch in the egg producing equipment. Have you actually seen your duck lay 2 eggs a day or do you only have this one female?

Thankfully my duck grew out of the double yolkers which is common with new layers but to lay 2 giant eggs a day is very worrisome.

Farmer Connie likes this.
  4. Cornfedup

Cornfedup In the Brooder

Sep 15, 2017
    I have several other hens but she’s the only white egg layer, so I know for sure where they come from. To my knowledge she wasn’t laying multiples before she took her winter break, so maybe she’ll go back to her usual routine. Fingers crossed.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Hope so too, sometimes when they start up again after a break things do need to get worked out again.

Keep us updated.

6. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I read this happening somewhere. I asked about it because I don't want to miss any eggs and end up with babies. I was somewhat aware of health issues. So how long should this be allowed to go on and how do you stop it? I looked at oyster shell today but didn't get it yet, his old should they be when they get that? Is is similar to grit and you just let them grab what they need? Can I assume it's okay for male ducks also?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: