Double Layer

Cornfedup

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2017
I have a year old Pekin hen that has been laying TWO giant eggs every morning. We are on day six now. They have plenty of oyster shells and are on duck layer feed in addition to free range and produce treats but I’m worried about her bones if she keeps this up. Is there anything else I should be supplementing?

CAMERA-SMILEY-BYC-BG.gif
:confused::wee:woot:highfive:

I had a Buff that laid double yolkers daily and that had me worried since both are a clitch in the egg producing equipment. Have you actually seen your duck lay 2 eggs a day or do you only have this one female?

Thankfully my duck grew out of the double yolkers which is common with new layers but to lay 2 giant eggs a day is very worrisome.

I have several other hens but she’s the only white egg layer, so I know for sure where they come from. To my knowledge she wasn’t laying multiples before she took her winter break, so maybe she’ll go back to her usual routine. Fingers crossed.

I read this happening somewhere. I asked about it because I don't want to miss any eggs and end up with babies. I was somewhat aware of health issues. So how long should this be allowed to go on and how do you stop it? I looked at oyster shell today but didn't get it yet, his old should they be when they get that? Is is similar to grit and you just let them grab what they need? Can I assume it's okay for male ducks also?

Back
Top Bottom