1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Double molt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BigDaddy'sGurl, Dec 19, 2011.

1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Don't know if this is the right section, but I will try it here...

Duchess, my bantam cochin girl, had a fairly short but heavy molt back in September. Quit laying for 2 weeks and lost a LOT of feathers. She went semi-broody a couple of weeks ago but broke herself quickly but hasn't layed an egg in 15 days and today I noticed she is molting again!!! What is going on??? Lots of white feathers around and she is looking much scruffier and she is the only white bird in that pen so it has to be her...

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm not sure what causes it, but one of my older hens - a nearly 4 y.o. LF brahma, is just finishing up a double molt. She molted head to tail and started all over again. [​IMG]

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I got this bird as an adult, so I don't know her age, but she molted for 2 weeks (mini molt timewise) and started laying again. Now, 3 months later we're doing it again?? Sheesh. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by