double post please delete

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by tamsflock, Oct 24, 2009.

1. tamsflock

tamsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    I have a baby deer that has wondered up in my garden lake are that is just crying like a goat. It has been out there walking along the lake in about 3 in of water. Should I bring it in and put it in one of my stalls? Will the mom come back for it? My son has gone right up and pet it not normal for a deer. It isn't brand new but is still showing spots. Right now my dogs are locked up but come night time I let them out and they will find it if is still crying. Is it sick that is why it will let us come right up on it? Do I leave it or help it? I always help everything but this is a wild animal. Not like the chickens that fall off the tyson trucks.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. randomchick

randomchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Prescott, Ontario
    It could be sick or it could just be confused. Just because it is near humans does not mean it is sick. Deer are getting used to people more and more every year and being so young it may just not know. The choice you have to make is how long do you want to be caring for a deer. If you take it in, it will not learn everything it should from the wild in order to survive. If you leave it out, it may die without a herd.
    I would take it in.

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    This time of year male fawns are driven away by their mothers. Quite often you will find them wandering around, bleating, and acting like they are lost. The best thing you can do for this deer is to leave it alone. It is exhibiting normal behavior.

4. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    I usually am the odd one out when it comes to threads like these. Being in animal rescue I usually help everything if my gut/instincts tell me to. I sometimes leave what appears to be an abandoned animal alone for a time but will watch it. More times than not I take care of it and then release it when it's ready. This time of year is also hunting season and it's mom could have been killed. You'll have to use your judgement. If there are any wildlife rehabilitators in your area then I would contact one of them and get their opinion. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. Call a wildlife rehabber or your local fish and game officer for help.

6. tamsflock

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    It is a female and bow season started on the 15th.

I don't know how it has posted twice but the moderator can delete one.
    Sorry

7. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Ok so I am not crazy, I actually did post. LOL I think you may have an orphan on your hands.....[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  8. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    How big is it? Could you post a picture?

Look up some wildlife rehabbers in the area, they'll be able to give the best judgement. If they say put it in a stall and bring it to them, then go with that route. If they say, leave it, then leave it for nature to take it's course.

9. tamsflock

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    Here is the little girl
    [​IMG]

10. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Wow. I think I'd bring her in and call a rehabber.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by