double white egg and they dont peel

preciouschick

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
south central PA
So I posted before that my boiled eggs wont peel. The outer white layer is soft, while the inner white layer is firmer. Looks like double white layers. What's up with my eggs? Is this normal for fresh eggs? These girls have been laying for about 6 weeks.

Attachments

• 20200927_204046.jpg
    20200927_204046.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 2
Fresh eggs don't boil as cleanly as older eggs, and can be harder to peel. Steaming supposedly works very well for fresh eggs, but I simply set aside eggs when I know I'll be wanting boiled eggs "soon" and let them age a few weeks, and then you'll have easy to peel eggs.
I will try the aging. I did try doing them really cold but that didnt work either. The pic I posted was a cold egg.

I will try the aging. I did try doing them really cold but that didnt work either. The pic I posted was a cold egg.

Starting with a cold (like refrigerated cold) egg straight into boiling water does also help, as does shocking the egg in cold water/ice bath after it's done. Some folks use vinegar in water too, supposedly that helps.

But if you're boiling an egg that's super fresh, it's going to be harder to peel than a 2-3 week old egg cooked at the same time in the same manner.

I'm having good luck with Instant Pot boiled/steamed eggs. 2 minutes on the egg setting, 3 min natural release, then quick release remaining steam. Take eggs out of IP and put into ice water bath. I will let them sit in the bath for a while.

Back
Top Bottom