Double Yoke eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yesfantina, Oct 8, 2013.

1. yesfantina

yesfantina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    My 2 year old sex-link Lucy has had egg issues before. Last year I noticed her acting sick for a few days and I took her to the vet and the xray showed a broken egg in her. A round of antibiotics and a couple months off egg laying and she was fine, back to laying an egg a day usually.

Back in July, I Again noticed her acting weird one day, and followed her around and watched her lay a shell-less or very soft shelled egg. She continued to not be herself for a few days, but then snapped out of it. However, she stopped laying eggs for awhile.

Then we moved the chickens to a newer larger coop and incorporated our younger 7 chicks in with the 5 big-girls there. So they all were stressed out (my little brahma still isn't laying after the move).

ANYWAY, Lucy finally started laying again around the middle of September. Since then she has layed about an egg every 2 or 3 days, and EVERY SINGLE EGG has had a double yoke in it. She's acting fine... I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas what could be causing it. If it was a once in awhile thing I wouldn't be concerned, but the 10 eggs she's layed in the last 3 weeks have all had 2 yokes in them.! I hope she's not hurting herself -- I've never heard of such a thing!

Thanks

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Sometimes they just lay double yolkers. You do not want to use double yolkers for hatching I have been told. I had a lovely australope who laid double yolkers everyday! They made the most awesome looking deviled eggs!

Caroline

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Some chickens just lay odd eggs. One of my friends has a chicken that lays soft shelled eggs every once in a while. A few of my birds have laid double yolkers before, though they've only done it once. As long as she is acting normally, there is nothing to worry about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by