Double Yoke - I'm just showing off my pride

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SelfMadeFarming, Feb 8, 2014.

1. SelfMadeFarming

SelfMadeFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2013
    The past 3 days I've got 3 eggs that were twice the size that they normally are, but still not in any way huge...

This evening we were making my daughters cupcakes for her birthday tomorrow and I grabbed an egg out of the basket and cracked it and ... Plop... Plop...

It was a double yoke. I was so proud, I had to show it off. Lol

[​IMG]

:weee :weee :cd :weee :weee :cd

2. FarmGirlForLife

FarmGirlForLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    Nice! I remember when I got my first double yolker. I thought it was the craziest thing ever! So I had to poke it for awhile. I love how the yolk of free range eggs is so much thicker. If you want to see a cool looking egg, try a goose egg. They are ginormous! We make goose egg French toast :) My mom and I have been debating about whether or not a double yolked egg could hatch.

1 person likes this.
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I love double yolks. 2 For the price of one [​IMG]

@FarmGirlForLife you can hatch a double yolk egg, but most of them don't make it. There's a video of a successful twin hatch here. Watch it with your mom: Double Yolk Egg Hatch

1 person likes this.
  4. FarmGirlForLife

FarmGirlForLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    Thats awesome! Ill watch the video when I get home. Can they both get to the air cell? Or is that why not too many hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by