Double yolk egg for incubation?

MJCommando

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Comanche, TX
I have a really confused hen. She's an Australorp that's gone broody, but she keeps hoping off the original clutch and she tries to incubate every egg in the coop. I've got about twelve nesting/laying boxes in the coop and out of the 16 or so hens they lay at least 14-16 eggs a day. So I'll keep a box with about a dozed eggs in an open box hoping one of the other birds will go broody. They're not. So finally, she finally settled in on two sets bouncing between them daily. So today I threw out the eggs (my coolerbator is full) from one box leaving her to sit on only one clutch of eggs. But, I did save one of them and squeezed it into the incubator because it was so dang big, its gotta be a double yolker. I saw a youtube video of someone helping twins hatch out and was wondering if its worth the effort. What kinda hatch rate do the larger eggs have? It seems double and triple yolkers would not have the room to wiggle around and hatch out by themselves. On that note, has anyone ever hatched triplets?

Also, besides limiting the number of eggs she can sit on, does anyone have any tips for this confused hen. Should I isolate her?

Sorry about the number of questions,,,,still newly addicted to this stuff but learning fast!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom