double yolk egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spookyone, Dec 2, 2011.

1. spookyone

spookyone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Hi, Has anyone set a double yolk egg and will they hatch??? We are getting some and I was think what would happen if we set one next spring. Input please.

2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    It is rare that they hatch. I think someone on here did it with success but she had to help during the hatch.

3. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I set one not long ago with zero growth. The one I've seen was a youtube video of a lady on here and it was an assisted hatch (and rather gruesome IMO)...she had 2 double yolk eggs. In one both survived, but I think one died later on? I may be wrong. The 2nd egg only one made it thru the assisted hatch and the other had deformities.

From what I have heard either one doesn't make it because of room restriciton in the egg, or hatch is difficult for at least one if not both.

Since dpoing some "singleton" assisted hatches of my own now, I won't try again with a double yolk. My outcomes with assisted hatches have been sad to devastating.

4. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    i had 3 fertilized double yolkers in my last hatch and none of them made it. they did start to develop but i hear its very rare they do hatch

5. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Think of it this way. Theres one air sac in the egg.

both chicks have to get to the airsac, which isn't easy for them.

It's hard for one chick in a double yolked egg to hatch, let alone both of them.
    Usually they die before lockdown, or die during it. if they DO happen to make it far
    enough to pip, they'll most likely need assistance hatching. I'd recommend not even
    setting them. [​IMG]

I HAVE, despite what's recommended, set a double yolked egg before. it was doing
    awesome, then around the 8th day, died.

Heres the video of the lady who had two double yolkers make it to hatching point.
    In one egg, both chicks did make it, in the other one made it, however both eggs
    needed assistance in hatching -

And heres the thread here on BYC posted by the same lady in the videos -
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=104245

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  6. beckstar

beckstar Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2011
    Delta, BC, Canada
    I've just set a double yolked egg in my incubator. I know the chances are slim to none that it will be successful, but I'm one of those people that HAS to try and see for myself. I'm candling my eggs this Sunday (the 22nd) so will see if it's even fertilized. My Indian Runner lays double yolkers quite commonly, but I've never set one before. Wish me luck!

7. SherrieT

SherrieT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Barrington, RI
    My ex-DH used to insist on trying to inccubate double yoked eggs. It ALWAYS ended up with two dead chicks.

8. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I've seen so many people on here post the same thing and try and fail. But personally, I'd totally do it. Many times our chicks die anyway. I don't think its cruel because they have a less chance of surviving...because so do shipped eggs. Or porous eggs. But I'm not that experienced, maybe thats why I'd do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by