Double yolk eggs

Kim1174

Hatching
Aug 20, 2021
Hi! I have a 25 week old RIR who lays double yolked eggs almost daily. She's been laying consistently for about 3 weeks now and all but 3-4 of her eggs have been doubles.
One was even a triple yolk. I'd never seen or heard of that before!!!
Is this normal?
Her eggs are huge.
Pics are the triple yolk and one of her double yolk eggs next to a store ex large egg.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210817_095731.jpg
    20210817_095731.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210814_111434.jpg
    20210814_111434.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 27
Wow, I never got a triple yolk in my 5 years of chicken keeping.
Double yolks aren't normal, but new layers are more likely to produce double yolks.

In my experience sex-links/hybrids are more likely to produce double yolks.

My first Flock, 5 Golden Comets laid lots of eggs, many were double yolks the first year.
Second year eggs were huge single yolk eggs with a double yolk or two weekly.

My second Flock, 7 Barred Rocks laid maybe a half dozen double yolks.

My third Flock 5 ISA Browns laid a couple of dozen double yolks their first year. At 15 months old they lay Jumbo single yolk eggs like the Golden Comets with an occasional double yolk.

My fourth Flock of 4 Rhode Island Reds and 4 Barred Rocks haven't started to lay. They are 14 weeks old.

What other chickens do you have? Are they laying?
What are you feeding them?
GC

Wow, I never got a triple yolk in my 5 years of chicken keeping.
Double yolks aren't normal, but new layers are more likely to produce double yolks.

In my experience sex-links/hybrids are more likely to produce double yolks.

My first Flock, 5 Golden Comets laid lots of eggs, many were double yolks the first year.
Second year eggs were huge single yolk eggs with a double yolk or two weekly.

My second Flock, 7 Barred Rocks laid maybe a half dozen double yolks.

My third Flock 5 ISA Browns laid a couple of dozen double yolks their first year. At 15 months old they lay Jumbo single yolk eggs like the Golden Comets with an occasional double yolk.

My fourth Flock of 4 Rhode Island Reds and 4 Barred Rocks haven't started to lay. They are 14 weeks old.

What other chickens do you have? Are they laying?
What are you feeding them?
GC
I have 5 RIReds and 5 Gold laced Wyandotte's. All were purchased at the same time from Tractor Supply. All but 2 Wyandotte's are laying at this point so we're getting 7-8 eggs a day.
My first flock :) so I'm definitely new to this.
I feed them Dumor layer crumbles and Dumor 5 grain scratch. A few times a week they get treats like cooked rice, watermelon, cooked pasta, scraps from the garden.

I have 5 RIReds and 5 Gold laced Wyandotte's. All were purchased at the same time from Tractor Supply.
I got most of my chicks from TSC too, except my Golden Comets.
All but 2 Wyandotte's are laying at this point so we're getting 7-8 eggs a day.
Nice.
My first flock :) so I'm definitely new to this.
Congratulations.
I really enjoy my chickens.
I keep two Flocks in separate pens and coops.
20210811_140102_resized.jpg

My ISA Browns enjoying a wet mash made with their feed. They think it's a treat.
20210807_093147_resized.jpg

My Pullets enjoying Scratch Grains scattered in their pen. GC

Last edited:
we are VERY new to chickens and are surprised that quite a few eggs are double yolks. Out of 8 hens we get either 7 or 8 eggs per day. They eat Blue Seal Extra Egger Laying feed, and get pumpkin and veggie treats most every day. We have added occasional cracked corn since it's gotten so cold. I have heard that chickens have all of the eggs they will ever lay when they're born so it's just a matter of time. Will they 'wear out' faster by laying the double-yolked ones? Mind you, the friends we share the eggs with do NOT complain!

One of my barred rocks (just now a year old) lays huge double yolked eggs a couple times a week. It's gotta be uncomfortable coming out!! All over 3 oz!
tempImageLoe3Fy.png
tempImageGh1h23.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom