Double yolk hatch

Lokale90

Chirping
Apr 18, 2020
I had an egg that didn’t hatch. In the beginning I thought I had seen two yolks but then forgot about it. Throughout the development it looked like only one chick. I decided to open it after I saw signs that the chick had died & even after cracking it open I still thought there was only one chick. I decided to peel open the sac & honestly thought the chick had somehow split in half. When I separated the 2 halves I realized I was actually looking at 2 chicks. It looks like they made it until about day 17 & then something went wrong. Any idea what could have gone wrong? They got so far to then not make it. Do 2 chicks hatch sooner than 1 chick just like human twins don’t usually go full term? Is there any way that they could have survived? I have one other egg that should have hatched by now as well & didn't. The egg looks the same shape as this one did & was also thought to be a double yolk but I haven’t opened it up yet to be sure.

Attachments

• A0ACB04D-7A4F-4712-8ED9-721BB1B09BC6.jpeg
    A0ACB04D-7A4F-4712-8ED9-721BB1B09BC6.jpeg
    720.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 215463E3-10B1-4AD4-B8B3-A2E6A68CA225.jpeg
    215463E3-10B1-4AD4-B8B3-A2E6A68CA225.jpeg
    519.2 KB · Views: 30
Many things could have gone wrong. There’s a reason twins don’t usually hatch for chicks.
If they were to hatch, one would pip and then you would have too possibly go full assist on both chicks, one would be malposistioned.

Many things could have gone wrong. There’s a reason twins don’t usually hatch for chicks.
If they were to hatch, one would pip and then you would have too possibly go full assist on both chicks, one would be malposistioned.
Do you think there’s a chance twins need to hatch sooner?

Do you think there’s a chance twins need to hatch sooner?
I’d imagine that you wouldn’t be able to until everything is absorbed anyway, and if one is up and kicking faster than the other, then it jeopardizes both their survivability....? I don’t think it’s impossible, but given the odds of everything that could go wrong, the chances of a double yolker hatching right seem very very slim.

Back
Top Bottom