Double yolk

Desiree1

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2015
culleoka Tennessee
I know it's a long shot but I've never had a double yolk egg before and I purchased eggs from someone for my incubator and there was one avaliable. I know the chances are very slim for this egg to make it all the way through and hatch but I decided to try. It is day 6 and I candled and I have two embryos. Does anyone have any
experience with this?

It looks like a saddled air cell. Was the egg shipped? Looks like it has lost a lot of moisture too. (Maybe too much?)
If you get it to lock down my (humble) opinion would be to let it hatch in an egg carton pointy side down.
Best of luck;)

I know it's a long shot but I've never had a double yolk egg before and I purchased eggs from someone for my incubator and there was one avaliable. I know the chances are very slim for this egg to make it all the way through and hatch but I decided to try. It is day 6 and I candled and I have two embryos. Does anyone have any experience with this?
You mean the chances are very slim for the embryos. The egg will make it just fine.
It has been done but extremely rare.
This is so interesting. I hope it goes well. I don't think I would be brave enough to try to hatch a double yolk egg.
I understand the urge to try something challenging.

The problem is that twinning in egg layers isn't the same thing as twins in mammals or other live bearers.
Live bearers' abdomens enlarge to accommodate the number of embryos therein.
Nutrient uptake in embryos of live bearers regulates to fulfill the needs of growth.

In contrast, an egg contains all the space and nutrition it will ever have and other than an additional yolk, it is intended for a single embryo. Turning in an egg to be in position for pipping is difficult enough for a single chick. Imagine two trying to maneuver in the same space.
For those reasons, twinning is usually a death sentence for embryos. If one does survive, it likely would be behind its siblings in development.
Considering that multiple births is genetic and passed on generationally in mammals, twinning is usually a death sentence in egg layers so the trait isn't passed on genetically. For good reason.
Sorry to be such a downer.
Since I am breeding to improve my lines of birds, I always eat double yolkers with bacon.

Good Luck! will be following!

I was sent here by 5sons coop so I'll be following too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom