1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Double-yolked eggs ARE good luck!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ninjapoodles, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I name my favorite hens after friends of mine. Commonly, the hens seem to take on traits that remind me of the ladies they're named after, and I like to tease my friends. One hides her eggs, one "talks" a lot, etc. etc.

Well, one of my most-favored hens recently began consistently laying double-yolked eggs. At about the same time, the friend who she's named after got a long-sought book deal!

I'm thinking of naming one after myself next time. [​IMG]

2. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Neat!! Congrats to your hen... and your friend... and your frying pan (for those yummy fried double-yolkers!)

3. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:My 6yo daughter demands the double-yolkers as soon as she sees them--I literally have to cook them on the spot! [​IMG] I usually just scramble them in a cup in the microwave, though, because Belinda = LAZY. [​IMG]

4. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Oooh! I've never tried scrambling eggs in the microwave before, though come to think of it that's how they do it at a lot of bagel places (to make those perfect bagel-sized egg patties). How long do you cook them? Gonna have to try that... a lot less mess than firing up the frying pan....

5. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    Quote:Unless you let the egg explode, then it's a lot MORE mess.

6. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Quote:Unless you let the egg explode, then it's a lot MORE mess.

That's exactly what I was thinking Nemo! [​IMG] Been there, done that, had to clean it up. [​IMG]

Congrats to your friend, Ninja!

7. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Never thought of that! I only use 30-second bursts in the microwave, stirring each time. They're usually done in 90 seconds or so.

8. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    1 minute per egg...that's good and solid. I have one bowl in particular that I like to use cause when the egg comes out it is the perfect size to fit on a slice of toast!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by