Double Yolker Extravaganza...is this normal?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ILoveJoe, Dec 22, 2008.

1. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    My girls started laying November 15th and have all been progressing well. I currently am getting 8 eggs a day, I have 18 pullets.

I have a mix of dual purpose standard sized chickens and I have gotten 4 HUGE eggs, two of them in one day, even the EE are has laid one.

I have eaten three of them and all of them were double yolkers. My hubby thinks this is not normal and there is some 'radioactive sh**' going on out there. [​IMG]

Is this normal for several of them (all from the same hatchery) to lay these jumbo double yolkers?

First one being cooked:

[​IMG]

Today in the skillet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should I be worried and what can I do to convince hubby that these eggs are ok?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Tell him not to look a gift yolk in the mouth [​IMG]

Someone on here not only gets double yolkers quite frequently, she HATCHES them and gets twins [​IMG]

3. Chicky Joy

Chicky Joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Double-yolkers are nothing to worry about. Your chickens don't have any strange mutations or alien genes that are causing them. [​IMG] Double-yolkers are common in young hens whose reproductive systems aren't quite regulated yet. It is typical for the double-yolkers to slowly become less frequent as the hens mature. We used to get tons of them but now that are hens are older we don't get any. Although, we have 6 pullets that should be laying soon so hopefully we'll start getting some more.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  4. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    Don't worry the eggs will be the same as the regular 1 yolker eggs.

But you are very lucky to get double yolkers!!!

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    What BS, I WANT DOUBLES SO BAD [​IMG] I mean come on with 40+ chickens you think I could get one once in a while !!!! GEEZ !!!

What do you feed them, I must know !!

6. onebuggirl

onebuggirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    Tell your DH that the double yolkers are toxic to men and then hog them all to yourself!![​IMG]

7. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:[​IMG] Brilliant! I love the double yolks.

8. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I've only had one double yoker so far, interesting, but I don't really care if they're double or not as long as they just keep laying! [​IMG]

9. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    After having chickens for 6 years and never ever having a double yolker, this fall I got a young hen (in a bunch I bought to replace my flock that was slaughtered by a dog)
    who started laying double yolkers! love em

what I want to know is, really, you can HATCH a double yolker? wouldn't think there would be room for two chicks!

10. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yup you can, a member put it up here:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by