Double Yolker then 2 soft shells?!

MetaMaori

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2022
I have a beautiful young Hyline pullet who has been consistently giving me double yolkers. A week ago I posted that she had been acting a bit off after scavenging for an hour or two and that resulted in me bringing her inside for some TLC to find in the morning that she had delivered me 2 soft shells, she was back to her normal self and thats all she wrote...until this afternoon. Same story, a double yolker from the morning then I see her acting suspicious, bring her inside and (as if she knows the routine) within 5 minutes drops 2 soft shell eggs.
I understand the demands on her body must be a lot more than her 2 sisters, they get scraps, pellets, egg shells and grit plus 3-4 hours scavenging in our urban orchard/backyard. Do i need to seperate her and make sure she has enough food to potentially secure 2 or 3 eggs a day? Whats the best option?
She looks quite uncomfortable when it happens but can i realistically expect her to eat enough food and water for her body to create 3 solid eggs? or do i just keep looking after her when i see it happening as per?
I hope this makes sense

Thanks in advance

I have a beautiful young Hyline pullet who has been consistently giving me double yolkers. A week ago I posted that she had been acting a bit off after scavenging for an hour or two and that resulted in me bringing her inside for some TLC to find in the morning that she had delivered me 2 soft shells, she was back to her normal self and thats all she wrote...until this afternoon. Same story, a double yolker from the morning then I see her acting suspicious, bring her inside and (as if she knows the routine) within 5 minutes drops 2 soft shell eggs.
I understand the demands on her body must be a lot more than her 2 sisters, they get scraps, pellets, egg shells and grit plus 3-4 hours scavenging in our urban orchard/backyard. Do i need to seperate her and make sure she has enough food to potentially secure 2 or 3 eggs a day? Whats the best option?
She looks quite uncomfortable when it happens but can i realistically expect her to eat enough food and water for her body to create 3 solid eggs? or do i just keep looking after her when i see it happening as per?
I hope this makes sense

Thanks in advance
Poor girl! I don't know how long this has been going on, but she'll probably start laying normal eggs at a normal pace soon. A lot of pullets have weird eggs at the start, but they get sorted out after a while. In the meantime making her a little scrambled egg (maybe with some crushed up eggshells mixed in) and making sure she's eating enough of her layer food should help her stay healthy.

Poor girl! I don't know how long this has been going on, but she'll probably start laying normal eggs at a normal pace soon. A lot of pullets have weird eggs at the start, but they get sorted out after a while. In the meantime making her a little scrambled egg (maybe with some crushed up eggshells mixed in) and making sure she's eating enough of her layer food should help her stay healthy.
Shes only been laying for a few weeks, shes had 1 day without laying and 1 day with a regular egg but every single other day shes pushed me out a double yolker. Poor girls body must be working over time.

Not too surprising for a newly laying hybrid production bird.
It'll likely smooth out in a month or so.
They do act a bit weird when passing a softie, probably feels strange with no hard shell for the contractions to push against.

Not too surprising for a newly laying hybrid production bird.
It'll likely smooth out in a month or so.
They do act a bit weird when passing a softie, probably feels strange with no hard shell for the contractions to push against.
You were pretty much spot on, shes come right on her own and is a lot happier.
Thanks for your input đź‘Ť

Back
Top Bottom