Double Yolkers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kaddidle, Aug 6, 2010.

1. kaddidle

kaddidle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Alabama
    I have two hens in my suburban backyard--a Production Red and a White Plymouth Rock. Both have started laying in the last two weeks. We got our first dozen eggs and made a delicious fritatta. All of my PR's eggs had double yolks! Is that normal? Should I expect it to continue? The eggs are delicious.

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Congrats on those first eggs and all the double yolkers! It's pretty common to get them when pullets first start laying (along with other "strange" eggs) but they'll become less and less frequent as she gets the kinks worked out of her system. I used to get them all the time too, but after a couple of months double yolkers became rare and I haven't gotten one in a long time now, though with a new batch of pullets fast approaching laying age I expect more of those little gems soon.

3. Hens4Fun

Hens4Fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    I agree with kittymama .... as they get older the double yolks will be fewer and farther between.

My EEs both had double yolks consistently when they first started laying ....4 months later, I haven't seen a double yolk in quite some time. The double yolks actually were mainly a first month of laying-thing.

Enjoy while you have them!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I had a RIR that would give me at least one double yolker every week for about two or three months.

July of 2009 l lost her to the heat.

5. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    One of my PR lays a Jumbo double yolker every day. She is the sweetest thing. Next time get laying hens I am getting a bunch more just like her.

6. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I had the same thing with my reds when they started laying. I had 15 reds, we had a LOT of double yolkers at first. After a few months it pretty much stopped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by