Doubling the Flock

Aml91

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2023
Good morning,
I have three 7-month Barred Rocks. I'm adding three pullets (not sure yet of age or breed). The original three have a coop they return to each night. I built a bigger coop in the barn that can accommodate at least 6 chickens, but I'm wondering if I should try to get the older girls to sleep there or just let them be and have the new ones start in the new coop alone? It's no problem for the original three to keep their old spot.
Also, since they free range, should I start the new ones outside in a crate for a day or two so they can be seen/not touched, or just throw them out into the fray since they can get away? The new coop doesn't have a run.
I had a flock of four young roosters that free ranged alongside the older hens so they are used to coexisting peacefully.

First, you should quarantine. Particularly as you have seperate facilities.

Then, even though they will free range, you should see and be seen - particularly see and be seen eating - for at least a week/10 days before setting your birds loose.

I integrate every 3-4 weeks, and have acres to free range. Allowing the birds to eat at the same time, within sight of one another, but not competing for the same feed really seems to help the process.

And I'd encourage placing a new run - even a temporary run, around the new coop -- you don't need much for such a small number of birds, but if you can afford it now, its a great investment in the future.

Back
Top Bottom