Doubling up egg turner in a Brinsea Mini Advance

mtc

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 21, 2011
Hi. I just bought a Brinsea Mini Advance. It came with the 7 egg turner for chicken etc eggs. I know I meant to order the turner for small eggs and ... didn't. Oops.

So question. Before I put another order in, has anyone just used the larger turner? If you did, did you put more than 7 eggs in it (like 14 maybe)?

I'm planning on hatching coturnix if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

You could try it, but I imagine that one or both of the eggs might not turn properly.

I would IMHO, order the small egg disc.

BTW, I'm doing my best to talk DW into letting me order a Mini-Advance. So far, no go.
sad.png

I like the Hova-Bator, but I don't need a HUGE 'Bator sitting around.....

Last edited:
Yeah, I kinda figured that was going to be the way it worked. But that ten dollar shipping on top of $19.95 for a piece of plastic makes me twitch. Lesson learned.

If you decide to order one of these pups, the picture is misleading and it only comes with the chicken turner.

Quote:
DONT WASTE TIME ON THE MINI 7... WHILE THEY ARE GOOD EQUIPMENT YOU COULD EASILY GET THE ECO20 AND HAVE WAY MORE EGG SPACE AND IT WOULD STILL ONLY TAKE UP MAYBE 35-40% OF THE COUNTER SPACE YOUR HOVA DOES. IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING YOU CAN EASILY PACK IN 3-4 X.S MORE EGGS IN THE OCTAGON 20 THAN YOU CAN IN YOUR HOVABATOR. THE MINI 7'S ARE NICE BUT THEY TAKE UP NEARLY AS MUC SPACE AS THE OCT 20 AND ARE VERY VERY LIMITING IN EGG CAPACITY.. PRICEWISE YOU'D DO BETTER WITH THE OCT20 AS WELL

Quote:
UNLESS ORDERING A QUAIL SPECIFIC INCUBATOR OR TURNER THIS IS STANDARD ISSUE/ PRACTICE FROM ANY AND ALL MANUFACTURERS... MOST FOLKS WHO BUY INCUBATORS ARE LOOKING FOR CHICKEN SIZE EGG USE--- WE ARE JUST SPECIAL FROM MOST
smile.png

Quote:
I bought a mini with the intention of staying small. I was merely curious since so many people manipulate the capacity of their incubators if anyone had adapted the standard turner.

I bit the bullet and bought the quail size. That's twelve eggs and enough for my needs.

MANIPULATION CAN BE DONE WITH CERTAIN MODELS
smile.png

I HAVENT HAD A MINI SO I HAVENT HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO TINKER WITH THEM AND SEE WHAT HILLBILLY UPGRADES I WOULD BE CAPABLE OF
thumbsup.gif

I HAVE IN THE PAST SEEN POSTS WHERE FOLKS HAVE DOUBLE OR TRIPLE STACKED THEM IN THE STANDARD RACK HOVA TYPE TURNERS... MANY LOOKED A LIL DICEY BUT I DO BELIEVE THEY WORKED???

NOW BY LOOKING AT BRINSEAS WEBSITE I SEE THEY USE THE SIDE LAYING ROLL METHOD OF TURNING... THIS WOULD BE SIMILAR TO A LYONS ROLLX TYPE OF SETUP... ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF WOULD BE TO DOUBLE OR TRIPLE EGGS IN THE LARGE SLOTTED TURNER AND HOPE IT ROLLS THEM APPROPRIATELY??? NO IDEA IF IT WOULD WORK BUT THATS ABOUT THE BEST IDEA I CAN SEE WITHOUT ACTUALLY POSSESSING THE UNIT.

IF YOU HAVE EGGS NOW AND NO SMALL SLOT DISC TRY IT! IF IT WORKS LET US KNOW SO WE CAN TELL OTHERS WHEN THIS COMES UP AGAIN
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I'm in the materials accumulating stage right now. I've raised lots of big birds in the past - turkeys, geese, chickens but this is my first foray into quail. Once the temps warm up a bit and I can have eggs shipped without fear of freezing (and I get my hutch built etc.) I'll goof around a bit with the turner.

I have every intention of staying small, but from what I've read around here, the temptation to expand will be great.
smile.png

have every intention of staying small, but from what I've read around here, the temptation to expand will be great.

WHEN THE TEMPTATION WINS I RECOMMED THE OCT 20
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom