Dove 101 (Questions)

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by 0wen, Jan 22, 2019.

1. 0wen

0wen Songster

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Hello,

Hoping to add some dove this year and have some questions. Zero experience with them - I've raised chickens, ducks, & coturnix - but nothing any closer to a dove. Hoping to keep them outoors full time (zone 6a/6b border):
    6a −23.3 °C (−10 °F) −20.6 °C (−5 °F) 6b −20.6 °C (−5 °F) −17.8 °C (0 °F)

I also prefer to raise things as natural as possible - I kept my coturnix in an hoop coop style setting on the ground and such, and hoping that doves can be raised in a similar setting - pros and cons of a set-up like this?

General questions -

Can Silkie/Frizzle feathered doves fly at all? I'd like 1 or 2 (I know not to breed them to each other) in a flock of half dozen or so.

Do I need to separate them by pairs or can a flock live communally?

Anything other than draft protection needed? Assuming they're like most birds and can survive the cold as long as they aren't exposed to drafts and weather. If you have photos of outdoor housing - flights, aviaries, etc - that would be great.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. Kessel23

Kessel23 Free Ranging

Feb 6, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I do not have much experience with doves but I do have a single silkie dove and I can tell you that is does not fly at all. Even when it is up high and tries to take off it will fall to the floor faster than a chicken. I think some of them are better at flying than others but all of them are pretty bad from what I understand.
    [​IMG]

3. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    If you're getting a dove species that can't really fly, I'd treat them about like your quail. Heck, you can keep doves with quail.
    I don't know about the temperatures, but Virginia has wild doves, so I'd imagine there's a way to keep your domesticated doves happy with some sort of protection.

4. jak2002003

jak2002003 Crowing

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    If they can fly well you can house a pair with most quail species OK usually. Keep an eye on them at first. If they can't fly then its better to house them on their own as sometimes the quails will pick on them and they won't be able to fly up to escape.

biophiliac and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  5. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    :pop@007Sean

6. 0wen

0wen Songster

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Thanks for the replies. Not interested in keeping them with other livestock, really just wondering about same species housing. I have a 10W x 16L x 6H aviary that housed my quail before they went to my freezer and wondering how to house the doves. Can they only be kept in pairs despite ample room? What of all females or (x) amount of females to (x) amount of males?

Looking to house 6-8 doves, but if they can't get along I'll just build them something smaller and utilize the aviary for something else.

Thanks again...

7. Serin

Serin Chirping

Feb 3, 2019
    Hi Owen, I am regret to say that ringneck doves shouldn't really be housed in a flock at all. The males are aggressive and will fight frequently, and they even attack their own young as soon as they are weaned around four weeks of age and can scalp them.

They should be kept in pairs.

In an aviary setting, you are better off keeping fancy pigeons, which do well in a flock.

Just don't mix the two. Pigeons, moreso the males, will kill ringneck doves.

biophiliac likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: