Dove is a very picky eater

Hatching

Songster
6 Years
Jan 2, 2014
Hello everyone, I have one ringnecks dove that I rescued a while back and everything is fine except one thing, he is the pickiest eater. I have tried all kinds of food ( quail&dove mix, parakeet&cockateil, finch, wild bird even parrot) but for all the foods he just picks out a few seeds and tosses or leaves behind 90% of the mix. The dove&quail mix was mostly, red and white milo and wheat which reading about doves and talking to many people I thought would be a hit with him but I think it was the least successful, I don't think he ate any of it. He was eating small sunflower seeds out of one of the mixes but tosses it out of another. I don't know what to try anymore. People have suggested crushed dog food, any thoughts on that ? People have also suggested only feeding the dove and quail mix and eventually he will learn to eat it, I don't know about that .... Unless this has worked for others on here.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated Thanks

You are over feeding it.

Its not hungry so its only picking out the seeds it likes the best.

Only put a spoon full of seed mix in the feeder and don't add any more until most of it is eaten.

It will get hungry and eat the other seeds.

PS Make sure its a proper sized seed mix... parrot seed mix will have large seeds that the dove can not eat.

Get a cockatiel seed mix or proper dove mix.

You should also provide small bird grit and crushed oyster shell in a separate pot... and give the dove a multi vitamin in the drinking water a couple times a week.

Taking it outside to sunbath in natural light is also great for its health as it gets vitamin D from the sunlight and this helps its body take up calcium and keeps its feathers in good condition..

PS  Make sure its  a proper sized seed mix... parrot seed mix will have large seeds that the dove can not eat.

Get a cockatiel seed mix or proper dove mix.

You should also provide small bird grit and crushed oyster shell in a separate pot... and give the dove a multi vitamin in the drinking water a couple times a week.

Taking it outside to sunbath in natural light is also great for its health as it gets vitamin D from the sunlight and this helps its body take up calcium and keeps its feathers in good condition..
I have given it both cockatiel and a dove mix and both times it was the same thing, only picking out a few seeds

Back
Top Bottom