Dove sound

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

How old is she? Birds with an enlarged heart will have trouble breathing, I've have several senior birds, even a 3 year old with this condition, eventually honking to exhale. If your bird has a runny nose, bubbly eyes, swollen face, coughing, then you might suspect a respiratory ailment. Gape worm is incredibly rare, but you can test for it by taking a clean q-tip and swabbing the very back of the mouth and throat, if she has Gape worm, thin red stringy looking things will be on the Q-tip.

You might post in our Emergency forums for more help. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Thank you
She is about 2years old. I have had other hens who have honked periodically but not her.
No other symptoms except for the breathing issues. I had a hen get gape worm about 3 years ago but don’t remember her symptoms other than the rooster was running her off . In the end right before she died she was coughing or probably choking and I jumped up to check on her and she was dead and blood was everywhere. Had no idea til yhen what it was. She was like 8 years old.
I will see if I can get a qtip down her mouth. Is the emergency site on BYC?

Hi
Id say about a month ago we had one of our hens start sounding like a Dove and sometimes a kitten. We had some things going on so just jept an eye on her. All her behaviors are normal eating drinking walking laying eggs… its justvher breathing.
It eventually seem to get worse sobwe brought her in and started different treatments on her. She seem to improve some sobwe put her out with other chickens cause we had to go away for a few days. When we got back she had gotten worse so shes back in on treatments and had improved some.
She cant crow , she screeches almost like she has a sore throat. She cant eat bread or apples very well. I think because of dryness and the hardness. She looks like she struggles to breathe, yet is very active.
No coughing up of blood . Could it be gape-worm and if so how do you treat it? Any other ideas?
Hi, welcome to BYC! It's nice to meet you. I would post this on the injury forum, and see what answers you get. Hope you get some good ones!

Back
Top Bottom