Dovecote does it need any bedding material

kensb

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 23, 2009
Hi,

I am new to the forum and will be getting both chickens and doves very soon.

Can anyone please help with the following...

A breeding pair of doves will be my first purchase to go into a new dovecote I have just made.

Do you need bedding material for dovecote?
Do we need to give them a separate nest box to the dovecote?
Do we need to give them any specific nesting for breeding?
Any good website to help with both our new ventures?

Do hope someone can help with my questions.

Thank you for reading my post
Kind regards
Ken

If you would like, you can put down some wood shavings or the sand you would put in a kid's sandbox, for bedding in the bottom of the dovecote. Both will make cleaning a breeze and helps keep the droppings dry and the birds clean
smile.png

Each breeding pair of birds will need at least one nest box (having two per pair would work too. 'Will speed up the breeding process, as the pair will usually dominate two and may have babies in one and eggs in the other). For ringneck doves, a box 6 inches wide/long, and a few inches deep would be a great size for the parents, babies, and nesting material to fit. In fact, it could be smaller, but I think sticking with 6 inches will do.

Our Dove's box (before I could clean it out, the mom had already laid eggs again, which is why the nest is up so high, haha):
racers%20043.jpg

Now as for material for them to build their nest with, my birds love long pine needles the best. Any landscaping or farm store should have bails of pine straw for sale. They make nice, full nests while keeping good ventilation in the nest and the bugs are less likely to live in it. Straw and hay can also be used, but because it's bigger and more hollow, bugs have an easier time living inside it. Plus when it gets wet, it mildews and grows all kinds of icky things much more quickly than pine needles, which can make the birds sick.
But, as long as you clean out the nest boxes between clutches and you keep the loft/cote dry, you shouldn't have a problem with whatever you use
smile.png
And I'm sure you've learned by now that no matter what you do, you can never keep the lice and mites out 100%. Doesn't matter if you have chickens, pigeons, doves, etc., parasites are always looking for ways to get on our birds
barnie.gif

Quote:
My guess thats a HE, both males and females dove and pigeon set on the nest.
smile.png

Yes pine needles make the best nesting material.

Nice looking dove.

Back
Top Bottom