Doves/Pigeons versus Quails?

Which bird is easier to maintain?

• Dove/pigeon

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Quail

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
Noise would not be considered much of a factor when considering any of the a fore mentioned birds. I would think pigeons may top the list, then possibly doves, I never raised quail.

I can't remember what bird I was researching. I've researched so many. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I know I found a youtube video with caged ..something.. and they were quite the noise makers.:oops: If I remember right it had something to do with their 'alarm system' to allow the people in space that their was a predator near by.

Noise would not be considered much of a factor when considering any of the a fore mentioned birds. I would think pigeons may top the list, then possibly doves, I never raised quail.

I've never had pigeons, but now I keep doves, and formerly, raised quail. Speaking from my experience, quails, by far, were the loudest and noisiest. We tried different species of quails several times until we found out they weren't the right bird for us. The doves we have now are much quieter and less vocal than the quails we had. Even a single coo won't bother.

This is all so interesting! I have been reading and watching videos on most of my spare time to learn about various birds. Pigeons and doves are the newest that I have stumbled upon. I have hunted morning dove once while in high school and see them all over the place. I have also seen pigeons (rock) everywhere. I also thought they were the same thing (doves and pigeons), like a bantam chicken and a barred Plymouth Rock chicken are both chickens. So, now I think I'm wrong, can anyone clarify that?

Also, are the quail bigger than pigeons?

Pigeons and doves thought they were the same thing I think I'm wrong, can anyone clarify that?
Pigeons and doves are similar to a horse and donkey they will breed in usually confined conditions but the off spring will be mules and unable to procreate.

Bob white quail are less then 2 lbs a feral pigeon is about 1 lb utility pigeons are also about 2 lbs.

Last edited:
Pigeons and doves are similar to a horse and donkey they will breed in usually confined conditions but the off spring will be mules and unable to procreate.

Bob white quail are less then 2 lbs a feral pigeon is about 1 lb utility pigeons are also about 2 lbs.

Thanks. I have seen where people farm and eat quail as well as pigeons, I am guessing those pigeons are the utility pigeons? Do people raise doves to eat as well? I would think their smaller size makes it pointless, but I know hunters do hunt for dove.

Thanks. I have seen where people farm and eat quail as well as pigeons,? I am guessing those pigeons are the utility pigeons. Not in all cases (I know personally of one pigeon fancier exception) but in most I would agree with you. Do people raise doves to eat as well? I am sure some people do either out of necessity or they found a niche market for them. I would think their smaller size makes it pointless, You and I both. but I know hunters do hunt for dove.

All depends of what you want out of the birds.

Quails
BAD

Noise of males crowing
Smelly and dusty
Usually not tame to actually handle and pet
Can not free range
Short lifespan
GOOD
Small size = small pens and cages.
Tasty eggs and meat
Cute to look at
Can keep in groups

Doves
BAD

Males can be noisy (repetitive loud 'coo coo cooo cooo', day and night)
Can not free fly outside.
Best kept in pairs only to prevent fighting and bullying.
GOOD
Tame and gentle nature. Can be petted, handles and trained.
Small size means small cage or aviary
Clean.

Pigeons
BAD
Lots of poop and feather dust
More aggressive and 'moody' than doves and usually not like being petted, but still tame.
GOOD
Can be free flow outside
Come in many colours and shapes
Some breeds good to eat
Can be kept in groups

Hope this helps.

In general... if you want meat and eggs... go with the quails. If you want pets go for doves, and if you want free flying interesting birds go with pigeons.

I keep chukars in addition to my racing pigeons. They are similar to quail. I only have one left now, a 4 year old rooster chukar. He has been waking us up at the butt crack of dawn (5am) squacking. They don't always make noise, but when they do, it is very loud and annoying. I have sort of navigated around him waking us up by basically locking him in his little house thing inside his run at night, and letting him back out in the morning. But he still does it during the day.

Back
Top Bottom