Doves won't stop breeding

thornydevil

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2016
So I bought 2 ringneck doves female and male on April of this year and 2 weeks later female dove was sitting on 2 eggs which didn't hatch. 3 weeks later on may one more time female dove was sitting on 2 more eggs and those successfully hatched. Now on July 8, 2016 I saw 2 eggs on nest and dove sitting on them. Is that normal or should I remove the eggs.

Do not remove the eggs.. this is a big mistake many people make... because is will make the female lay more and more eggs and she will get sick from all the energy and nutrients in her body getting used up to make so many eggs.

Splitting them up will be very stressful for them.. as they are very strongly pair bonding birds.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, is replace the eggs with fake ones... you can use any small white ball or egg shaped thing, or even make you own from clay. I used small white plastic balls from a kids game.

She will spend her time sitting on these fake eggs and be very happy. Eventually they will give up on them and start over again. At which point you just need to replace the real eggs with the fake ones again.

Back
Top Bottom