Down Appears plucked off - how to help please

sweetshoplady

Songster
11 Years
Feb 4, 2008
Venice, Florida
This is what I believe is a week old EE pullet. They put her in my box as my 3rd chick. It appears that she has had her feathers plucked out by the older chicks she was in with. She looks like a partially plucked miniature chicken. Her juvenile feathers are coming in. As she has little to keep her warm, the room is a little warmer than I would otherwise have it for her. And she appears in good health other than not having her baby down.

weekoldee.jpg

weekoldchick.jpg

In this side view, you can see her hind end, and it looks like she possibly had a bad case of pasty butt (my guess)
eechicks.jpg

This is one of the older one's backs. She has feathered out pretty well, and is just missing down here. The other pullet appears to be doing fine, with no feather loss that I can see.
eeback.jpg

I don't know if there is anything that I can do other than wait for them to feather out, or anything to help that happen? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Excuse their temporary place. I had just put them there to get pictures and give them more room to run around while I set up their brooder.

I couldn't find my original post, moderators I apologize.

They look older than 1 week to me. They look to be in the awkward stage of feathering with some picking. I would guess them to be 3 - 4 weeks old. How big of a brooder are they in now?

The 3 of them are in 2 cardboard boxes taped together. It's about 4' x 3'. The place I got them from had them in a rabbit/bird cage that wasn't very big and there were quite a few in.

Since those pics were taken, (Tues), I can see that feathers are coming in. I think the little one is 1 week and the bigger ones are about 3-4 weeks old. The older ones are pretty well feathered, except that one place on the one chick. The little one looks the worst. But she does appear to be feathering.

I didn't know if to give her extra protein or anything special to help her feathers. I have given her that Poly-Vi-Sol. (all have gotten 3 drops a day since Tuesday when I got them). These 2 older chicks aren't picking at her. I think it was others and it seems that they had one order come in then when the second order of chicks came in put them all together.

The fellow even said that the reason the little one didn't have feathers was because she was in too small of a place and her feathers didn't have a chance to come in. I didn't believe that.
roll.png

So I guess, it's just a matter of waiting til her juvenile feathers come in, which they are. They all seem to be doing better since I brought them home. I'll get some pics with my cell (easier to upload - just not as good of pictures)

Along with crumbles feed some cooked eggs for more protein and yogurt to build her up with good probiotic. TLC will go a long way
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom